Making headlights sparkle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've got a pair of stock headlights on my 02 tahoe. I don't want to spend the cash on new ones, but I want that new(ish) look. How do you guys get your headlights to shine like they were brand new?

Thanks, Dan

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wal mart sells a kit that is called "head light restorer"

comes with 1500 grit sandpaper
2000 grit sandpaper
clearcoat sealer
$20.00 Bucks

So go buy sandpaper and a rattle can of clear coat, wet sand them and clear them. then they will look good.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what ferghoe said, also heard that toothpaste works, I've personally never tried it, but worth a try!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best way is to go to your local mechnic shop. tell them you want them cleared and they will do it professonaly. looks awsome dude. had it done on the mercedes. looks brand spankin new, cost me 40 bucks.

phonedrn8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
power ball I used on the Infin g35 worked good and on the Tahoe

phonedrn8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wet sand is good if know how to do it, u can do damage if not carefull

tahoedoe

Reaction score
wetsand is the way to go. dont waste your money on a kit. 600grit, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000. When you start it will look like your lenses are scratched, but when you get into the higher grits, it will buff them out completely. Make sure you keep the lense and paper wet at all times!

diskman

Reaction score
I have been using a small 6" palm orbital polisher and the cheap wal-mart toothpaste for YEARS.

Wash the headlights of any oil/dust/road grime.

Use masking tape to mask off around the lights. Don't want to scratch the paint!

Put a 3 inch line of toothpaste on the damp polisher and place on headlight. THEN turn on.

I use a large bucket of warm water and a cup to keep things wet and lubed.

You will see the toothpaste "foam" turn yellow as it pulls out the oxidation and gunk as you move it around the headlight lens.

I suggest a chair to sit on as you polish. :p

Rinse and repeat with fresh toothpaste often.

This works on those SEVERELY yellow lights on Dodge and Ford cars from the 90s.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen one mention this yet, but.......

Whatever method you choose to restore clarity, that clarity won't last for very long.

After any restore method (papers, polishes, DA's etc) you'll be right back in the same boat, as you've already lost any protective UV surface on the lens. And that haze, and film will be back soon.

You then need to protect, and seal all that hard work. There's many synthetic sealants, and coatings on the market today. Unlikely you'll find them at wally world though.

Look to place like Autogeek, and Autopia, they have some good products from the likes of Optimum, CarPro, etc.