Me Denali with Police Strobes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chad_towns

Reaction score
Where did you get that set up from? Hope you don't get caught with 'em. In GA its jail if your caught with anything blue that lights up on truck

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohhh yea..believe me, If I'm caught with them on, its jail time if the cop decides he wants to do that...

Its "Impersonating an Officer" in any state *BAD IDEA FOR ANYONE..VERY STUPID*..you can be arrested on the spot, charged, and your vehicle will be impounded...

they are just for fun..Im not lookin to get into trouble with them lol..

as for where I got them..you can find them online...Galls and Ibis Tek have tons...These are very similar, if not, the same kind of lights used in Ibis Tek lightbars.

Last edited:

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds like you know that what you installed was not a good idea, but I'm obligated to throw my .02 in since I work "in the industry", so bear with me:

1. Flashing, rotating or oscillating blue lights in most states, regardless of the location on the vehicle, will probably get you in trouble. Some states allow blue lights for EMTs or VFFs responding to calls. Georgia, AFAIK, is not one of those states.

2. Red lights of ANY kind are not allowed on any forward-facing surface of a passenger vehicle. I know that there are various state laws that enforce this, but I also believe that there is a federal regulation on it, too.

3. It appears as though you were sitting on the side of the road with those things lit up. Unless your brains are in your ass, I would NOT do that again. Cops can show up anywhere at any time - regardless of how little you think they patrol a certain area. All it takes is the rookie cop/deputy to go and check out a new area, and there you are with illegal lights on your truck lit up like an xmas tree on the side of the road. Busted.

All that being said, I AM slightly jealous of those grille lights, since they decided to be cheap and didn't put any grille lights on my new patrol vehicle. ;)

Just be careful man. DO NOT use those things inappropriately, and NEVER on a public roadway. You'll get in some pretty serious trouble. Other than that, nice install, and nice lights.

Last edited:

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh believe me...I may be a kid...and I am dumb...but Im not COMPLETELY stupid ;)
This was in my neighborhood right infront of my house...yes, it is still illegal since my truck is parked on the street. I would not turn them on while driving down the road though...and other then for taking that video...I wouldnt really use them much..maybe at a car show...or drag strip...or something like that...

however...In Sacramento, there are NO Army bases...the closest base is...Ft. Irwin which is way down in Southern Cali. So they might be a little more lenient on a soldier in uniform standing in front of his house with his lights on.

I would and will use them in emergency situations...lets say I am rushing someone to the hospital...or I'm blocking traffic due to a bad accident (which I have had to do more then once)...I'll deal with pleading my case later.

they actually arent grill lights...they are the same lights used in light bars..I believe Ibis Tek makes them...because we have some Ibis Tek light bars that have the same lights..but even back home, I've seen then in unmarked cars

Last edited:

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to keep picking you apart bro, but bear with me....I'm only commenting because I spent 7 years in the military and I don't want to see you get busted for something that you *think* is innocent but, according to the law, most definitely is not. Read:

oh believe me...I may be a kid...and I am dumb...but Im not COMPLETELY stupid ;)
This was in my neighborhood right infront of my house...yes, it is still illegal since my truck is parked on the street.
It's illegal no matter how you slice it or where you are. You could be in your driveway and it would raise enough eyebrows to warrent a lawful contact if a cop happened to see them.
I would not turn them on while driving down the road though...and other then for taking that video...I wouldnt really use them much..maybe at a car show...or drag strip...or something like that...
Drag strip during a run would probably be cool. Car show would be pushing it without an emergency equipment dealer permit. Depends on the state and local laws, so check into that before firing those things up at a car show.

however...In Sacramento, there are NO Army bases...the closest base is...Ft. Irwin which is way down in Southern Cali. So they might be a little more lenient on a soldier in uniform standing in front of his house with his lights on.
This very, very, VERY much depends on the cop who contacts you. I know some guys that are complete ****ing pricks, and military or not, they don't let too many people off with warnings for stuff like this.

I would and will use them in emergency situations...lets say I am rushing someone to the hospital...or I'm blocking traffic due to a bad accident (which I have had to do more then once)...I'll deal with pleading my case later.
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT DO THAT! I cannot even begin to tell you what kind of hellish s**tstorm would be generated if you got into an accident while driving with those lights on, emergency or not. The lights alone are enough to get you into some serious trouble; if you hurt or killed anyone, you'd go to jail. Period. Dot. End of story. You mentioned that you use lightbars on your humvees, so I'd imagine that you have some experience running code through traffic...but military training and civvy training are two different animals, and don't coexist in court very well. Besides, think about this for a second: you have two little LED modules in your grille. Thats it. No 360 degree warning, no siren, no airhorn, nothing to properly clear traffic from your path. Even just sitting at an accident scene with them on will get you busted big time, so please don't use them on the road AT ALL, ever.

I'm really not trying to be a dick, man...I'm looking out for you based on personal experience. If you really want to put some lights on your vehicle that could do some good in a bad situation, get amber LEDs. Yes, I know that the coolness factor pales in comparison to your red and blues, but people will still see them, and if you get some kind of arrowstick for your rear windshield, you can actually help divert traffic around an accident scene. Amber is ok for pretty much anyone to have, but please check your local laws and see if there are any restrictions.

Please man...don't do anything stupid with those. I'm only 25, but I remember being exactly like you and wanting to find ways to put red and blue lights and a siren on my car when I was younger. The risks are not worth it.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amber would even push it. Enless your a utility vehicle. I have the orange marker lights on the roof and side of my truck. But they dont Osolate (sp). But on the same token. My HIDS are also illeagle. There is another member on here. Who has them on his tahoe. JohnnyBgood I think is his user name. But is an accident specailist. But (I dont think) has any police licences. But uses them for an emergency. Last I checked if it was an emergency, it does not matter. :thumbsup:

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks awesome.
I've actually spoken to police officers in Florida about this from when i had a strobe kit in my TrailBlazer.
at least here, blue and red are *always* illegal, amber or white can be used in emergency situations, but none can be used while in motion.

but either way, its all just IF you get caught.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the clears under the grill going back and forth, or both on. I have also used these to deter traffic around accidents. I have had more than one police officer thank me…. Just my 2 cents

DSC05006.JPG

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha..back when I first got the truck...I put white strobe lights in my headlights...
I was stupid enough to put the toggle below my dash so my knee would hit it sometimes..
I was driving once and a cop flashed his lights at me..then I realized and turned them off...another time, I had them on and the cop pulled me over after I got done hauling ass from the bank, back to the chinese food drive through (cuz the fvckers didnt take debt/credit)...He couldnt catch up cuz we kept passing each other he said..

finally pulls me over into a gas station, gets outta his car, walks up to me..and right away, I say... "lemme guess..my front strobes are on right now..arent they"..lol, he was kool about it though...$1.29 for another toggle switch recipe, a 2 minute drive to the courthouse and BAM...Im out of it ;)
He ended up giving me a fix-it ticket. (yea..I know its different because they are white..not red and blue)

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres no way in hell Im putting an arrow on my back window...lol
I dont plan on visiting a lot of accidents..and its not my job

"One study found that for flashing lights, red was more easily perceived in daylight, and blue at night although, some say red at night as well. Furthermore, red has advantages in haze and fog, while blue stands out against traffic at night"
I understand the laws..and that I would be breaking them, however, I feel safety is #1 priority. ;)

Also, anyone from northern California knows..in the winter, the fog can get so bad, it can cause a 50 car pile up in a matter of minutes...No cop in his right mind is going to take me to jail for preventing a pile up after an accident...If people see the red light flashing through the fog before they run into a flipped over car, do you think a cop is going to bust me for saving a couple of lives?

Dont get this twisted bro...Im one of the kids in a SMALL percentage that actually appreciate the cops...I dont dislike or hate cops...
*although some really do have the right to be called pigs*..MOST deserve more respect then they receive from the general population.

btw, I got them for free which is why I installed them,...why would I go out and waste money on getting Amber LEDs that I dont need?..actually I do have a siren...because its part of the PA system I used to have on my Ranger....and I have the parts for an Air Horn, I just have to install it when I get back to the US.

what else...I also have IR driving lights...You ask, how would I use them? simple..the IR camera hooked up to my navigation screen... =D Cant wait to use those haha

Last edited:

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK man, your call. I can see the possible uses, but I'm not going to say that you'll never get in trouble. Some cops aren't in their right minds, and stuff like that just increases your chances of running across one of them. Sad but true.

The biggest thing that I was concerned about was the fact that you said, "I would and will use them in emergency situations...rushing someone to the hospital". Turning them on with your vehicle in motion is way more of a liability than it's worth. As for the rest of the equipment...sooner or later, a little bit of this and a little bit of that will probably add up. What it adds up to is entirely up to you.

Anyway, be safe.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres no way in hell Im putting an arrow on my back window...lol

By the way, just to clarify, I said "arrowstick", not arrow sticker...meaning an LED traffic advisor that directs traffic around the back of your car. I'd never put a flippin arrow on my back window either.:smilielol:

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true..maybe even rushing to the hospital would be a bad idea....I still believe stopping traffic due to a serious accident would be worth the trouble =/

anyways, I just got them for fun..I wont be using them on public roads..I know I'll get in trouble for it..Im for sure going to use them on the drag strip though lol ;)

The air horn will be for the dumb drivers on the road...like these idiots that STOP at a yield sign when NO ONE is around..or the people making a right hand turn...that stop and wait for the light to turn green...god I hate stupid drivers..

so...you are a cop/police officer?
lol, I might be able to ship another set to you if you want..you'd be one up on the other guys

I know that..Im saying I wouldnt put an arrow *LED or whatever* in my window lol....although, an arrow sticker would be kinda..interesting haha

likearock

Reaction score
Join the local volunteer fire department and be the envy off the local hose draggers, change the colors and mount a nice Boss plow on the front, otherwise loose the lights. Your a rolling lawsuit with those on your truck. Spend the cash on a turbo, nitrous, something else other then pretending to be a wanna be. There is NOT ONE thing the justifies you having those in your truck. Other then what I mentioned above.

Ground effect lights are one thing, doing what your doing is just plain stupid.

But saying this I also remember I was young once........and didn't listen to my elders =-)

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so...you are a cop/police officer?
lol, I might be able to ship another set to you if you want..you'd be one up on the other guys

I work for a unique agency, we serve a gated community in Colorado in unicorporated douglas county. The community is about 9.5 sqare miles, with 1500 or so homes and approximately 3300 residents. I fulfill most of the functions of a police officer, but since the community isn't incorporated, we don't have municipal status so we aren't cops. We are a state certifed EMS agency though, which is how we run red/blue on our patrol cars, but the CPHA has granted us pretty much all of the authority they can under the law as far as law enforcement goes. We enforce traffic laws, bust DUIs and drug peddlers, respond to fights and DVs, etc. The only thing we can't do is effect an actual arrest and transport the person to jail...we can detain and cuff if a crime is commited in our presence, just have to wait for county to show up to handle all of the paperwork and the transport, lol. It's a cool gig.

I wouldn't mind a set of those lights and I appreciate the offer, but I dunno if receiving military property would be the greatest of ideas on my end. And, I don't want to get you in hot water if your Top starts wondering where all of his equipment is dissapearing to, lol.

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
again...let me mention one more time..I DID NOT spend money on them..I installed them because I had them...period...

nah, I'll leave them on...Im still going to do some passes down the track with'em

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey hey hey...who said anything about it being military property...I said its the same kind that are used in the IbisTek lightbars..we use those kind of light bars as well...but anyone can buy this stuff off the internet :)

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work for a unique agency, we serve a gated community in Colorado in unicorporated douglas county. The community is about 9.5 sqare miles, with 1500 or so homes and approximately 3300 residents. I fulfill most of the functions of a police officer, but since the community isn't incorporated, we don't have municipal status so we aren't cops. We are a state certifed EMS agency though, which is how we run red/blue on our patrol cars, but the CPHA has granted us pretty much all of the authority they can under the law as far as law enforcement goes. We enforce traffic laws, bust DUIs and drug peddlers, respond to fights and DVs, etc. The only thing we can't do is effect an actual arrest and transport the person to jail...we can detain and cuff if a crime is commited in our presence, just have to wait for county to show up to handle all of the paperwork and the transport, lol. It's a cool gig.

I wouldn't mind a set of those lights and I appreciate the offer, but I dunno if receiving military property would be the greatest of ideas on my end. And, I don't want to get you in hot water if your Top starts wondering where all of his equipment is dissapearing to, lol.

So your really a rent a cop?? Like the same people that come through on their little red golf carts that say "security" in my neighborhood??