Need advice on tire size for 22's / Lowering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

philipcorbin

Reaction score
I have some 22x9.5 wheels that Ive been looking at tires for...
I can't seem to come up with a firm answer on the size I need...
Right now my ride is stock but I also have a McGaughys 1-2" Front/3" Rear kit that I havent installed.
SO question one should I install the kit before putting the wheels and tires on?
and Question two what size tire should I run, Ive heard 305/40/22's 305/45/22
295/45/22 etc.... what are you other guys running on your dropped tahoes?
thanks!

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 45's because I wanted to keep as soft a ride as possible. The less sidewall the stiffer the ride. You stiffen up the ride a lot when you lower it as well. it is really up to you, there is no "right size" it just depends on what look you are going for. If you want low profile go with the 40's if you like the look of sidewall and want the gap to fill out better go with 45's and the 295's I'm guessing would be kind of in between because the overall diameter is less but the sidewall 45% of that smaller diameter. Hope that helped.

02cadiHOE

Reaction score
i have a 2/4 drop and when i had 22x9.5s i ran 305-40-22. i wanted 45 series but the 40s where instock. no rubbin either. i like the 305s it makes a nice wide foot print.

m0bmentality

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 295/35/24s on 24x10s and im down to a 4/6 drop right now and only rub at 85% turning(front) and hard cornering(rear) and even that is miniscule.. its actually so minimal that im wanting to go at LEASTanother 1 and 2 lower

m0bmentality

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow i didnt answer the question at all i look like a douche... what i was trying to say is the fenders are misleadingly large on these things and you dont need to sweat that drop on nearly ANY 22 ( as long as the offset is right) but if you arent going to go any lower i would go with the 45 series so you can pack more into the gap

philipcorbin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers guys!
I decided to go with Pirelli Zero Asimetricos 305/45r/22
Should be putting them on tommorow, ill post pics!
thanks again
Philip

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should look good, I like the 285/45/22 but I seem to always lower my truck more than I should. The 305s should fit nicely with a 2/3 drop.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat you are. I'm about to lower mine 2/3 and am trying to decide on tires. I've always run 305/40/22's on my Tahoe at stock height and thought they looked and rode ok, but I've considered bumping up to 45's when I buy new tires this summer.
Off topic, but what part of Austin do you live in? There are a few Austin guys on here.

philipcorbin

Reaction score
Big Tap, I live in south Austin, 290 and Brodie-ish...

Ferghoe, nice wheels, thats what Im gonna be runnin! ;) Black trenchs!

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run the 305/45's and lower it 2/3. That way the there is less wheel gap, and you have a better ride.