Newbie needs tips for McGaughy's 3/5 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm brand new to the forums and have been having a good time working on my 04' Tahoe. I've been knocking out the easy stuff so far mostly cosmetic but now it's time to get to the performance mods and the first thing is the drop. I am going to install the McGaughy's 3''/5'' kit next weekend and was hoping to get as many tips as possible so not to screw it up. My brother in law is going to help me out because I have very little experience with stuff like this and he is a pit mechanic for a porsche racing team. While he is very knowledgeable overall domestic trucks aren't exactly his forte and I was hoping I could get as much input as possible before we get into it next week. So, any tips, suggestions, "be careful not to"s you have PLEASE share them. I look forward to reading your tips.

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done!

Well, we did it and it it wicked good. My brother-in-law and I installed McGaughy's 3''/5'' kit yesterday and it was a breeze. It did take us a little under 8 hrs but that is because neither of us had done it before and we were working with pretty basic tools and off jack stands instead of a lift. After we did the first front spindle and torsion key it went pretty quick. We got it all figured out on the first wheel so I could tear down the second while he put the first one back together. All in all it was a piece of cake just time consuming. The rear was not hard but kind of a pain in the ass, the kit did not come with instructions for the rear and it was unclear which hardware to use. They just gave us a bag of hardware, two springs, control arm relocators, and sway bar linkage...... we figured it out though.

All in all I think it was an easy install. The ball joints in the front gave us the biggest problems but if you have a ball joint press to get them out it would be a breeze, we were working with a tiny little ball joint separator and it was a REAL pain to get the lower ball joint out. My brother in law is a race car mechanic so he was able to troubleshoot some of the issues that arose but there was nothing too crazy just your run of the mill taking a 5yr old truck apart kind of stuff.

I would seriously say if you are moderately knowledgeable about ball joins and shocks and you have a descent set of tools and some jack stands you can do this install yourself or a buddy would make it a lot easier but save the $200-$400 the shops want to charge for this job it's just not that hard. I called four shops here in Phx and was quoted $200-$400 some including and some not including alignment. I do have to go get me alignment done on Monday but it is handling fine and not pulling at all and it will cost me like $50.

I do suggest investing in a $40 7 ton gear puller to do the torsion keys and not the $100 torsion key unloader. The puller grips the frame on two sides and seems to be much more stable to me than the glorified c-clap that is the torsion key unloader.

So what's my point? The shops I called built this job up to be hard and it was not. It just takes some paying attention, moderate mechanical knowledge, descent tools, and the better part of a Saturday afternoon......

I'll try and get some pics up soon.........

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics......

PC080125.jpg

PC080126.jpg

PC080127.jpg

PC080128.jpg

MrAtticus

Reaction score
Wow Grocery :clapping: That is one nice looking ride am also planing on doing a 3/5 drop on my Hoe. Do you think you can send me a link of where you got your drop kit at? And i was wondering if you had a pic of your hoe showing us the front grill?

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just a Mcgaughy's 3''/5'' kit(spindles, keys, rear coils, control arm relocators, sway bar linkage)....I got it art a local shop here in Phx.

Here is the grill:

PB300127.jpg

BigE

Reaction score
love those wheels. nice Hoe, cant wait to get my 3/5 drop.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Truck looks real good man. Less wheel well gap definitely looks better imo when running bigger wheels.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got any rubbing with the tires? Also, what is the offset of your rims. it looks sick, i'm just worried that the tires would rub on hard bumps. Looks hella good though.

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thnx man, she's shaping up real nice. I am not sure what the offset of my wheels are but I do get a little rub on the inside of the fenders and I think I will just roll them out a little and that should solve the problem. Rubbing is unavoidable, with a drop like this you will always have some rubbing. I don't rub so much on bumps as much as on turns from body roll. I also plan on upgrading the sway bars pretty soon and then the rubbing should be almost non existent..... Just do it, the ride is so much better. When I see stock Tahoez rollin now I really see how crappy the gap looks....good luck peace.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped my yukon back in june with a 3/5 drop. i was just wondering about the 45 series tires, cause i got 40 series. i like the way your tires fill the gap all the way.