Newbie question - "1" & "2" fobs on 2004 XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maybe

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2004 Yukon XL SLT on Saturday. (Woohoo!) First Tahoe type vehicle in the family, so I'm a total noob. Hope I'm not asking a terribly stupid question. I have read the owner's manual, and skimmed through the forums for a few days.

This is a Canadian truck, bought from an Ontario GM dealer as a "GM Optimum" used vehicle. I dunno what the 150 point inspection checklist is about, because several items on it were totally ignored. Oil overfilled by about a litre, piles of leaves in the air filter housing, interior door light/lens totally missing...I'm talking "obvious to a girl" stuff here. Soooo....I'm looking for outside information to doublecheck their stories from here on out.

What I could really use some guidance on right now is the subject of key fobs and the truck's "1" and "2" memories. The truck was traded in with 1 key and 1 fob. Pretty unremarkable looking: open padlock button, closed padlock button, red bugle button. No writing anywhere on it other than 3 lines on the back side of the housing:

GM 219997127
CANADA 109G 12021
MODEL/FCCID LHJ011

There was supposed to be a second fob/key ready and waiting for us at the vehicle's arranged delivery time, but that didn't happen. They did cut a new key while we waited, but a fob was a problem. The salesman dug out a junk drawer type box of mixed used fobs, and said we'd have to look through to find one with 12021 on the back. Then they couldn't program it for me because nobody technical works on Saturday. I'd have to take it to their other branch closer to home for programming during the week. No, I couldn't program it myself, it requires some spiffy computer to be plugged in by factory trained men.

That sounded a little odd, considering how simple and straightforward this tutorial is. I fix computers for a living - I think I can jumper a couple pins. But ok, not worth pushing when at the time, I believed everything else had been properly looked after. Cheerfully agreed to swing past their local branch on Tuesday, and went home.

When Hubby and I had time to sit down with the manual, we noticed the "1 & 2" fob thing. I can't for the life of me find anything on these fobs that would differentiate 1 from 2. They're absolutely, totally identical, and I don't see a single digit 1 or 2 standing apart anywhere.

Since the truck has electrical problems (fog light dead, door lamp missing, driver's seat bottom doesn't raise/lower, yadda), I've got to wait til next week when the electrical guy gets off holiday to get anything done. In the meanwhile, the one working fob's unlock key physically jams in the down position, and it only transmits <80% of the time. I'd feel a lot more secure if this 2nd junker fob worked, but I'm leery of trying to introduce it to the truck before I know a little more about the whole "1 & 2" thing.

So, the nutshell version:

1) what do the 1 & 2 markings on proper fobs look like?

2) is it possible that the working fob isn't original?

3) will I screw anything up by programming the "spare" fob?

4) just a doublecheck - is this the proper procedure for my year/model?

Thanks very kindly!
Maybe

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi... I have a 3 week old '08 Suburban and the fobs do not have a number on them. My wife has a '08 Caddy CTS and those DO have numbers on them, so I found it strange that my '08 Burban did not have one.

Anyhow, it doesnt matter which fob you use. Just pick whichever you want to be #1 or #2. If you adjust your settings and hold the preset #1 or 2 in the truck to program it, it will use those settings from the fob that is currently in the truck. Just be sure that when you are setting the preset, that only 1 fob is in (or in near proximity) to the truck.

Maybe

Reaction score
Thanks very kindly for trying to help, bad63lac. I appreciate it.

Took the truck to the more-local dealer branch yesterday, and had them program the 2nd junk-drawer fob. They said they'd have to do both of them at the same time...no problem, whatever works.

While I was there, a nice gentleman with an '03 Denali came in behind me. He and his wife use the 1/2 fob feature constantly, and he was able to tell me that my fobs are definitely different than his. He's got big clear 1 & 2 digits on his case, I've got no #s...wrong fobs.

After I got the truck back, I tried your advice for syncing 1/2. Only one fob within 15 miles of the truck, so it couldn't be confused. The fob will lock/unlock the vehicle, and set off the alarm....but that's it.

The dealership wants me to pay $300 for a new pair of fobs. I think working remotes and a working memory system are on their 150 point list of assured working stuff, so I should expect them included in the purchase price. Wish me luck. :)

Thanks again!