Newbie - Thinking of Buying - Would Appreciate Advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scoobey

Reaction score
Hi, guys! I'm thinking of buying a 2000 Tahoe Z71 (that's the tricked out off-road package they offered right before switching to the next generation, so it's essentially a '95-'99). Vehicle has 109,000 miles, is in very good shape, tires have at least another year on them, leather seating surfaces etc. etc. I know what Blue Book says but I also know prices are dropping faster than Kelly and Edmunds can keep up -- so I've got some Qs:

-- Used car dealer wants $6,400 including with a 5 year/100k service contract(internally lubed parts only). Good price?

-- Any trouble areas I should have my mechanic specifically check out? My wife's especially concerned about the soft brakes, and I've read about brake problems on these (going completely out, no help from dealers).

-- How do you gets your dogs in/out? One reason I like this is the room for my big guy, but the tailgate's so high I think I may need a ramp, which is a pain.

-- (Dumb Q) Otherwise, is this really as great a rig as it looks like?

Thanks for ANY tips, thoughts, advice, flashbacks, etc. anyone cares to offer!

Scoobey

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have mechanic check steering componets - and the Tranny specially - the soft brakes can be fixed pretty easy, take the rear-tires off and the rear-drums off - adjust the adjuster out to make the brake pads tight in the rear- if this doesn't work get new adjusters..

I can't belive your getting a used vehicle with a warranty.. so yes thats a perk

My dogs... well i have a miniature daschund.. so thats not a problem for me.. I don't hual my big guys around in the Yukon... I have a german shepard and a Mutt.. but, they go by way of the work truck.. depending on how big your dog is - they should be able to easily jump-up-to the tail-gate, or if its smaller, than picked up-to the tailgate

Only probs with these things other than the occ. tranny (high-mileage) - is switches, headlight switch, heater-control switch speicifically.. brake switch seems to be a common one as well.. - and then some minor A/C probs thats a hit or miss between these tahoes/yukons as it seems - and then the normal stuff - that clank or clunk that happens while driving (slip-yolk needs lubed) or the occ. tick.. (brakes)(cv's)(maybe bearings) - but i've got a 97 Yukon w/ 215,000 still going good! - just needs a shift-kit put in the tranny and it will go even better

Scoobey

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the good insights!

I really appreciate it.

Our dog, btw, is a big beautiful blond Humane Society beast, about 70 lbs -- Shepherd sized -- but we're worried about the effect on his hips over time, especially of jumping down. Man, that rear gate's HIGH! Maybe I'll take him by the lot and ask him to "hop in", see how he does.

Again, thanks a lot.

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1999, 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 is one of my favorite vehicles ever produced, especially in pewter metallic. It is a great looking vehicle!

The price sounds fair, although I have not been following prices, so I am not educated in the current market conditions. Regardless of market conditions, you will be getting a great vehicle for a small price, no doubt.

Concerning your dog in the vehicle, when I bring my dog with me (dalmatian, medium sized dog), I simply pick her up and put her in and do the same to let her out. She can jump in herself, but she is getting old so it's easier on the both of us if I just give her a lift.

Let us know what you decide, and if you follow through with the purchase, let's see some pics!

Scoobey

Reaction score
Status Report: Negotiations

Original poster here -- here's an update on my buying status:

Took my dog to the lot; he jumps in and out just fine with a short running start. Still would like to find something to save the stress on his hips over time, but at least it's not an immediate problem.

My wife, though, isn't as hot on the car as I am. Her issues: brakes seemed soft (I promised we'd fix if it's a problem); size and handling (trucklike; she'd prefer a more carlike SUV); ride (she's a little right there; there's more sway and road motion in the rear seat than I expected, tho not a problem for me). Biggest issue, though, is cost: it's priced low, but we still hate having car payments (generally buy our cars outright).

However, I found the prior owner's name/number on JiffyLube receipts in the glovebox, called him, found out it's got a great maintenance history and no problems (he sold it to buy another Tahoe!) -- and he volunteered what he sold the car for ($4,000). So I did some math: $4,000 plus $1,000 overhead and profit for the dealer plus DMV, extended service contract and loan fee, minus $2,000 cash down, leaves about $3,800 loan, payments $126/month. Even my wife can live with that!

Went back to the lot, offered the dealer that figure ($5,000 plus $500 service contract, which gives him a 25% profit on a rig he's had in his back lot for a month), explained my reasoning -- and he said no, he thinks he can still get $6,000/6,500 for it.

So like good negotiators we both walked away from the deal. But if it doesn't sell this weekend, I'll amble back in on Monday with some coffees and see if he wants to budge.

Open to any advice, of course!! Especially about any of my wife's concerns (rear seat "carsick" ride, soft brakes).

Last edited:

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's good that you were able to walk away from the dealer when he refused a reasonable offer. Fullsize SUVs aren't exactly demanding a premium in today's market, so he should be happy there is an interest in the vehicle at all. Secondly, your offer was generous enough to allow a 25 percent profit to be made in the deal anyway. If he wants more than that, the only reason is greed. Let him sweat it out a bit more. When he comes to his senses your offer will begin to look much more appealing.

Regarding the dog, I have seen devices on the market which essentially consist of a board that is used as a ramp which is laid on the tailgate/bumper of the vehicle and allows the dog to walk into the vehicle rather than jump. So that is another thought.

Also, in regards to the brakes, the brakes on my vehicle have always had a soft pedal feel to them, regardless of wear on the brakes. When I first got it, I thought it was a problem as well. But when I had it checked out everything was fine, so that may just be a common feature of these vehicles.

Finally, regarding excessive sway in the vehicle, it has never bothered me, but if you would like to stiffen the suspension a bit I would recommend the Stillen sway bar that is manufactured for these vehicles. It is thicker than OEM and would be a relatively easy and inexpensive way to decrease excessive sway.

Hopefully this helps, if only a bit! Take care!

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And remember - adjust those rear brakes out... - that will help quite a bit with you soft pedal

Scoobey

Reaction score
Got it, Yukalade -- thanks!!

If the seller comes around, I'll be sure to have the PPI check those. (BTW, found that the prev owner had it serviced at the Chevy dealer where I was planning to do PPI! I hope the dealer will budge. Does anyone think I'm wrong to try and wring the price down and risk losing the vehicle?)

Paul Greathouse

Reaction score
Scoobey

I just bought a 95' Tahoe after shopping around for 3-4 years on the internet. What it all boiled down to for me was, is this vehicle what I want?

I was willing to consider any 2 door in the 90's body style. At first I was looking for something that already had all the bells and whistles (lift, oversized tires, aftermarket rims, ect). After doing alot of looking I realized that the trucks that fit this catagory were mostly owned by young guys like my two sons. There was definely a good chance of getting an abused vehicle after seeing what my sons trucks go thru.

So I chose to go the other route, find the best Tahoe/Yukon I could that didn't appear to be abused and add all the extras myself. What I found was a Tahoe that had two previous owners, a woman first and then a guy my age that worked in a bank. It had new Uniroyal Larado's, the leather seats had just been replaced 2 years ago and looked brand new. He claims he never took it off road. The truck was extremely clean and drove has good as my wifes 03 Yukon. The icing on the cake is the shiny black paint job, the professional window tinting job and the fact that it only had 100,000 miles on it (I've got a 95' GMC pickup with over 200,000 miles that is still running OK).

He was asking $8000, I got it for $7500. He told me after I had already paid him that another guy was looking at it but had offered less than I had. Did I get took? I don't think so, considering the condition of the Tahoe. The prices have come down on them recently because of the cost of gas but I believe that if gas doesn't go much higher, people will get used to it and start paying a little more for them like I did. Thats probably what your salesman is counting on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if its what you want and you don't mind paying for the extra gas then the price is right especially with the warranty. I'm happy with my purchase, could I have got it or another one cheaper? maybe. Could I have found one in better shape? regardless of the year model I really doubt it. It's a 95' but it looks better than any 99' I looked at.

All I have to do now is start adding all the fun stuff:
4" Lift $1800
Tires and Wheels $2000
Flowmaster exhaust $400
Cold air intake $200
Bullet Proof the Transmission $1800 (local shop, turn key job w/warranty)
Another 100,000 miles and I'll put all the motor I can in it that will still burn regular unleaded. $4500 (Also local shop, turn key job w/warranty)

Add all that up, plus what I paid for the Tahoe and I still couldn't buy a brand new 4WD truck for that price much less a new Tahoe.

Cost is all relative to what you can afford and what your willing to spend to have what you want. Don't get hung up on trying to one-up the saleman if this Tahoe what you really want. Save that strategy for when your buying new.

Last edited:

Paul Greathouse

Reaction score
Scoobey

I just bought a 95' Tahoe after shopping around for 3-4 years on the internet. What it all boiled down to for me was, is this vehicle what I want?

I was willing to consider any 2 door in the 90's body style. At first I was looking for something that already had all the bells and whistles (lift, oversized tires, aftermarket rims, ect). After doing alot of looking I realized that the trucks that fit this catagory were mostly owned by young guys like my two sons. There was definely a good chance of getting an abused vehicle after seeing what my sons trucks go thru.

So I chose to go the other route, find the best Tahoe/Yukon I could that didn't appear to be abused and add all the extras myself. What I found was a Tahoe that had two previous owners, a woman first and then a guy my age that worked in a bank. It had new Uniroyal Larado's, the leather seats had just been replaced 2 years ago and looked brand new. He claims he never took it off road. The truck was extremely clean and drove has good as my wifes 03 Yukon. The icing on the cake is the shiny black paint job, the proffesional window tinting job and the fact that it only had 100,000 miles on it (I've got a 95' GMC pickup with over 200,000 miles that is still running OK).

He was asking $8000, I got it for $7500. He told me after I had already paid him that another guy was looking at it but had offered less than I had. Did I get took? I don't think so, considering the condition of the Tahoe. The prices have come down on them recently because of the cost of gas but I believe that if gas doesn't go much higher, people will get used to it and start paying a little more for them like I did. Thats probably what your salesman is counting on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if its what you want and you don't mind paying for the extra gas then the price is right especially with the warranty. I'm happy with my purchase, could I have got it or another one cheaper? maybe. Could I have found one in better shape? regardless of the year model I really doubt it. It's a 95' but it looks better than any 99' I looked at.

All I have to do now is start adding all the fun stuff:
4" Lift $1800
Tires and Wheels $2000
Flowmaster exhaust $400
Cold air intake $200
Bullet Proof the Transmission $1800 (local shop, turn key job w/warranty)
Another 100,000 miles and I'll put all the motor I can in it that will still burn regular unleaded. $4500 (Also local shop, turn key job w/warranty)

Add all that up plus the what I paid for the Tahoe and I still couldn't buy a brand new 4WD truck for that price much less a new Tahoe.

Cost is all relative to what you can afford and what your willing to spend to have what you want. Don't get hung up on trying to one-up the saleman if this Tahoe what you really want. Save that strategy for when your buying new.

slowautoxr

Reaction score
Have mechanic check steering componets - and the Tranny specially - the soft brakes can be fixed pretty easy, take the rear-tires off and the rear-drums off - adjust the adjuster out to make the brake pads tight in the rear- if this doesn't work get new adjusters..
<snip>
Only probs with these things other than the occ. tranny (high-mileage) - is switches, headlight switch, heater-control switch speicifically.. brake switch seems to be a common one as well.. - and then some minor A/C probs thats a hit or miss between these tahoes/yukons as it seems - and then the normal stuff - that clank or clunk that happens while driving (slip-yolk needs lubed) or the occ. tick.. (brakes)(cv's)(maybe bearings) - but i've got a 97 Yukon w/ 215,000 still going good! - just needs a shift-kit put in the tranny and it will go even better

This is exactly the type of info I'm looking for. In another thread I was reading, the fellow was looking at problems in the transfer case. It sounded more like an isolated problem though. How many miles is the engine good for?

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive seen 250K many times.
as far as the soft brakes, i too thought it was a problem. i had a very slow leaking rear wheel cylinder leaking, 20 dollar repair, and the pedal felt much better, although with my tahoe, and the 2 others ive driven, they all have that soft feeling. its more noticable if your used to driving a newer vehicle. nothing to worry about. you get used to it and dont even realize it.
i love mine, will run it til the motor blows up, and then ill put another motor in it and keep going. good luck!!