no brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ben_fishn

Reaction score
i have checked the fuses and replaced the stop light switch this afternoon (what a pain). still dont have brake lights. just stopped working last night. any other things to check?

lowlows18

Reaction score
this happened to me once a while back and the problem was the tow hitch wires...check them out or if you dont use them then take them off..(thats what i did)

ben_fishn

Reaction score
np brake lights

yes they are working...everything but the brake lights.

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though you don't have a trailer harness there are still connections by the rear crossmember on the frame. Also what are the bulbs like?

ben_fishn

Reaction score
still no brake lights

still have no brake lights. i have checked all i know to check. talk to a friend who use to work at dearlership. he said it could be some kind of switch in the steering column that was like close to $300. anyone know what he is talking about?

Last edited:

hapyspaz

Reaction score
He is talking about the master switch or turn signal switch. Its that big stick sticking out on the left of your column. Pain to change out. It "controls" almost all of your lights, as well as a few other functions. I've not had to change one out on a Tahoe before, but I have on multiple Pontiacs. With experience its about an hour job.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a little wiring harness that went bad, it's about a foot long, goes from the brake light switch to a a connector on a huge bundle of wires by the knee bolster.

my brake lights didn't work on my 99 when I got it in november. It was 2 weeks later before I realized it, I wondered if my tahoe had a chmsl and what it looked like, that's when I noticed they didnt work.

I replaced the switch, thought all was fine and then had a guy almost rear end me last friday. I looked and they didnt work again. I bought another switch and noticed it would work when the switch was hanging down and I actuated it with a screwdriver, but wouldn't work if I attached it to the pedal. and it would change depending on where I moved the wires to.

I've got the wires zip-tied into a good position so the lights work every time but I'm going to try and buy or rebuild that little one foot harness.