no spark no start

Discussion in 'General Tahoe/Yukon Discussion Forum' started by guadapapa, May 8, 2019.

1. guadapapa

guadapapa New Member

Hello all,

I have a 96 chevy Tahoe,

I got the car for free a year ago. was told it needed a fuel pump. did that job. couldn't get the car to start. I noticed the car wasn't getting any spark. but finally got it to start. car sounded perfect, I left it on for a half hour. by next day the car wouldn't start again. I wasn't able to get it fired up again for a couple more months and same cycle happened again. left it on for a half hour, drove it around, sounded perfect. by next day wouldn't start again. Engine turns but no spark.

I appreciate the advice.

2. east302

east302 Full Access Member

3. Bigthangs65

Bigthangs65 New Member

Make sure the coil is in spec, run a ohm test on the coil use the Chilton manual for instructions. Also is the ignition module burnt out? It may be a bad module that is not sending the right signal to the coil to start your engine. Remove cap and rotor and inspect, a bad rotor will also cause this problem a corroded cap may also be a culprit. These trucks are known for bad ignition systems. I have replace all of my ignition system (distributor, coil, module) no starting problems since.