Noisy rear differential on my '96 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denis

Reaction score
Hi there

My '96 Tahoe makes whining noise on the rear differential . When accelarating, it's loud, when the car is rolling without any force from motor or transmission on the diff, it's noiseless, when the car is decelarating (downhill without giving gas), it's also doing noise, but different then the one while accelerating. I suppose it's the differential main-bearing, but i read that it's a common problem of the Tahoe's and that, even if bearings are replaced, the noise can still be there. Of course, i want to avoid changing sth and pay money for it when it's useless. So, does the change of the bearings help out or should i use special oil or is there sth else that can be done so that the noise dissapears ? The Tahoe has about 100.000 mls.

Thanx for the hints....

jetskied

Reaction score
Thats a tough one. In general when a differential is making noise that you are describing its due to load on the gears. If it was bearings it would make noise all of the time. I have had problems with differential noise on a van before and after I changed out the bearings it still made noise. I'm no expert, but IMO I think its best to have the whole differential rebuilt. In the meantime try Swepco gear oil as many Porsche guys swear it helps reduce noise and makes their transaxel shift smoother.

Denis

Reaction score
Yes, you're probably right. If it where the bearings, it would make noise all the time. But rebuilding the diff will certainly cost a lot of money. Do you know from what other Chevy's i could look for the requested parts ? Here in Luxembourg it's impossible to find new or used parts so i have to go to Germany. and there we have some guys trading with ex-army Blazers from the 80's and Suburbans from the 90's so they certainly have used parts for little money. I just need to know where could be the differences between these and mine .....

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My GTO had a nosiy diff. I changed out the fluid and put in Royal purple and has been quite ever since. I also changed the tranny fluid and got way smoother shifts.

shawnkfl

Reaction score
my '95 does this exact same thing. i replaced the diff oil with a good synthetic and it still makes the whining noise. it starts at around 40mph and gets louder the faster i go. let off the throttle, and it's as quiet as can be. tap the throttle and the noise comes right back. no noise at all running under 40mph. any other ideas on this? new gear and bearing change?

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the whining noise continues try looking at your rear end bearings. Also, serivce your differential with synthetic fluid. If it's still loud and the noise doesn't go away just replace your differential. Eaton, Auburn, Posi-Locker are all good products. I prefer Eaton because of thier warranty and for all the parts its about 610$. If your going to replace your rear end you mind as well POSI the truck.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cost me $1400 for mine to get a complete rebuilt a tooth broke on the ring gear

and put a hole in diff cover. i did have that noise to. i thought it was my tires.

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a worn out pinion bearing. under load, its noisey, you take the load off, it stops.