Oil change interval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daryl

Reaction score
Got a question regarding the oil change frequency. I bought my 07 Yukon XL this past August with 15400 miles on it. It's got he 5.3 V-8. The oil had been changed just before we bought it; I think it was at something like 94%. It's now 5 months later and I've put 6K on it. The oil indicator is only at 19%. The level is still good. I'm just wonderig if I really do wait it out till it drops to like 5% or so when the indicator should change to "change oil soon", or do I go ahead and just change it? I want to keep this thing for as long as possible, but this whole oil monitoring system is new to me. In the past I would always changed it between 3 and 5K. Just wondering what others have done. Thanks in advance for the advise.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually run mine down to about 3-5% before changing. This can be close to 8K sometimes.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in regular oil changes. I change mine with synthetic every 4-5k miles. That's probably a bit more than needed, but with regular oil I wouldn't think of going over that personally.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Royal Purple synthetic and change it every 5-7K. That's worked well for me so far. When I used non-synthetic it was every 3-6K.

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want your engine to last change your oil regularlly around 3,000 with regular oil and 5,000 with syn. I do not believe in what thee manufacture says they want you to buy a new truck not have yours last over 1/4 millon miles .At my shop we had a 88 s-10 blazer that a customer brought to us since it was new at 300,000 miles the truck rotted around the engine we took the engine apart and it still looked new inside. SHe used mobil 1 syn. every 3000-4000 miles

GHR2

Reaction score
I had changed my oil every 3,000 miles in every car I owned for over 50 years, and have come to the conclusion that with today's improved oils, engine materials and technology, it's a waste of money (and oil). I now use synthetic oil and change it when my oil life indicator shows 5 - 8% remaining.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you. The 88 Blazer example just shows that you're OK to change that often but says nothing about what a longer change interval would do. A GM engr once said that change at 50% for mineral and 100% for synthetic. I'm going w/ that.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want your engine to last change your oil regularlly around 3,000 with regular oil and 5,000 with syn. I do not believe in what thee manufacture says they want you to buy a new truck not have yours last over 1/4 millon miles .At my shop we had a 88 s-10 blazer that a customer brought to us since it was new at 300,000 miles the truck rotted around the engine we took the engine apart and it still looked new inside. SHe used mobil 1 syn. every 3000-4000 miles

X2

I use Mobil 1 and will change between 5-6K in the Yukon. My 87 4Runner slurps dino juice and I change it every 3K. Synthetic and 242,000 miles on an engine not designed to use synthetic does not get along. Same with the 69 CJ5.

In other words, I don't buy into the oil life indicator. :gy:

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modern engines are different than engines that were built over 20 years ago, let alone 40 years ago :lol:.

and have come to the conclusion that with today's improved oils, engine materials and technology, it's a waste of money (and oil). I now use synthetic oil and change it when my oil life indicator shows 5 - 8% remaining.
I agree. I don't think GM would put in the oil life indicator and recommend that people follow it to maintain their modern engines, unless they really felt that it was safe. If the extended oil change interval wasn't safe, they'd be opening themselves up to major warranty work that they would have to pay for blown up engines because people followed their advice.

There must also be a margin of safety built in, too, because almost all manufacturers have to cater to the lowest common denominator. For all the people who actually read their owner's manual and follow the recommended change interval, there will be others who will be at 0% or later before they do the change. I like to believe that GM would err on the side of safety to protect their own behinds, if not to protect their customers'.

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really funny to read this thread. Here in Europe it is common to change every 20-25k miles - not km. Good that the old days of 5k oil changes are over even in the US. Frankly speaking it was about time. So do not worry about 10k changes or more.

Btw. in former times the oil guys could decide whether to change or not by squeezing a drop of oil between their fingers.

Jim

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You go right on ahead and change your oil at 20k, I'll keep doing mine at 5k, thanks.

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, some things are too sticky in the minds as to be changed. :D:D:D

p.s. I did not say that 20k applies for a 'hoe.

Jim

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am following the dash info. Its +/- 10 k Mi.

Reasonable but not as good as the European cars.

Jim

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember the manual says something like The GM Oil Life System senses your vehicle's speed and engine temperature and driving habits. It does not sense the quality of the oil itself. I use Mobil1 synthetic and will probably change it every 5k-8k or so. I changed it at 1300 miles new and will use the indicator as a guide but not as a bible:cool:
I am old enough to remember the finger test which is good enough for an informed person:thumbsup: Worked with an old mechanic years ago who would always do that with the customers.:crazy:

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember the manual says something like The GM Oil Life System senses your vehicle's speed and engine temperature and driving habits. It does not sense the quality of the oil itself. I use Mobil1 synthetic and will probably change it every 5k-8k or so. I changed it at 1300 miles new and will use the indicator as a guide but not as a bible:cool:
I am old enough to remember the finger test which is good enough for an informed person:thumbsup: Worked with an old mechanic years ago who would always do that with the customers.:crazy:

Old school mechanics are the best. My favorite was my shop foreman grabbing ignition wires by the end to test the quality of the spark. :lol: Wonder if that is where his studd-d-d-der came from. :crazy: Great guy though! ...and one of the many people and reasons I love working on cars.

And, I'm on the every 5K train. Mobil 1 Extended Life. The only oil I don't change religiously is the lawn mower. :rolleyes:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that 40 years ago the oil grade was SD and now it's up to SM. So w/ synthetic, you should have no problem w/ using the oil life indicatorespecially w/ the Extended Life since it contains a higher phosphorus level which is good.

Last edited:

BigDTahoe

Reaction score
anyone try putting synthetic in their trucks? If so did you flush the engine first? I have 24k miles on and it and bought it with 22k. Going by the sticker I have 1k miles left, but on display if shows 69%.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use synthetic in mine, I know several others do as well. You do not need to flush the old oil out. You need to drain it out obviously...