OK Replacing Keys is a Royal PITA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Ok I live in the Midwest. My truck came from Illinois.

Today I started to drop my truck. I had no problem removing the bolts and whatnot, but what I am having a bear of a time with is removing the torsion bar from the stock keys. I tried to use penetrating oil (PB Blaster) and a small propane torch. I also had to use a hammer and a Long Flathead screwdriver to wail on the torsion bar. It moved ever so slightly after an hour and some minutes.

What do some of you guys use to pursuade these damn things out?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boostaholic and JKMotorsports are proably some of the best people to help you with your problem, why didn't you go with lowering with Front/Rear coils instead?

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boostaholic and JKMotorsports are proably some of the best people to help you with your problem, why didn't you go with lowering with Front/Rear coils instead?

00-06 trucks use a torsion bar suspension up front, both 2WD and 4WD. Now to answer your question. When we lowered my truck, we had to use an air hammer to knock the torsion bars out. That part really sucked. Anyway, once we knocked them loose, the keys came right out.

DenaliAnyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have on some safety googles before attempting this procedure. Debris may fall in your eye if not. Get a hammer and bang the key loose while pulling the bar towards the front.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Once the bolts are out, you"ll just have to bang on the end of the bars to knock them through. Make sure the front wheels are completely off the ground to relieve as much tension as possible. Try spraying both ends of the bar with penetrating lube if you have to and just knock it loose with a air hammer ( or regular hand hammer). Most of the time they slide out with a slight tap, but once in a while I'll come across one that sticks and I'll just have at it with an air hammer or a good couple whacks with a deadblow hammer till it breaks loose and moves.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
00-06 trucks use a torsion bar suspension up front, both 2WD and 4WD. Now to answer your question. When we lowered my truck, we had to use an air hammer to knock the torsion bars out. That part really sucked. Anyway, once we knocked them loose, the keys came right out.

Oh okay I got you, but don't torsion bars have a limit on how low you can go or can you pull up to 3" drop with those?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh okay I got you, but don't torsion bars have a limit on how low you can go or can you pull up to 3" drop with those?

I dropped mine over 3.5" and it still held an alignment, seems like most people can only get 2"-2.5" tho. Rides way better raised up for winter tho, now I'm rocking the 2.5/5 drop lol.

daxz

Reaction score
i just lowered mine.... but i dropped it and had a hugely messed up camber did i put the keys in wrong? im sitting like 1 1/2 off the front tire now and still have a -1.3 camber

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty much impossible to put the keys in wrong, they only go in one way. Did you take the torsion bars out all the way and get them mixed up? They are L and R specific when you put them in. I don't know if that would cause the issue that you're describing but thats a lot of negative camber. Is the height where you want it? If not, get that dialed in first then mess with your alignment.

Boost might have a better answer, he's the lowering guru lol.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Anytime you lower the frontend, the camber will become more negative the lower you go. Toe will also change slightly. Drop it where you want it, then you can get the camber back in spec roughly by loosening the upper control arm bolts and swing the cam plates to push the upper arms outward. That will move the wheels back towards positve camber. You won't get it perfect, but you can get the wheels closer to neutral or positve camber then drive it to the alignment shop when you get a chance.