power liftgate won't go past 3/4 up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wongs83

Reaction score
On my 07 the other day when I went to use the power liftgate and it would only go up between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way and then it would come back down almost like it had came in contact with something. I did it about 15 times and tried to watch and listen to see what the problem could be. I don't know if this was the case before, I don't think so, but I noticed it almost looks as the the liftgate it shifted towards the passenger side. The reason I first noticed it was there is a little spot on the bumper by the tailight on the passenger side where the liftgate rubs when it comes back down. I also noticed now when the liftgate is closed it is right up against the passenger side tailight, but on the driver side I have almost a 1/4" gap.

Any thoughts here?

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My liftgate rubbed the bumper also, had it back to the dealer twice and the only thing they do is shift the bumper over. They say they have no way of adjusting the liftgate and how it works.

I imagine in your case, hopefully they can look at replacing the motor.

What happens if you manually lift the gate up all the way? is there any resistance where it stops? will it pull it all the way down when it is up?

wongs83

Reaction score
Is there a way to manually lift it?

The only way I was able to even get in it was after the liftgate raised 1/2 way and then started back down if I grabbed the gate and applied some pressure it would "pop". It seemed to take an awful lot of holding pressure to even stop the liftgate (more then what seemed safe and would probably break a bone on a kid before it stopped) and after this "pop" the lift gate could be raised and lowered manually but it was VERY heavy and seemed to have no assitance from the rods on each side. As a matter of fact it was hard for my wife to even hold up the liftgate while I drug baseball equipment out of the back. And when you would let the door go LOOK OUT because it would slam shut!

To be honest I"m starting to get a little disappointed in my tahoe. I've had it in the shop for radio problems, rattles in the top, rear defrost problems, defective rim problems and now the liftgate. Probably the most expensive vehicle I have purchased and by far the most problems.

aaron72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the headliner right in front of the rearview mirror should be a switch where you can turn off the power liftgate. Do that and then go to the gate and open it up and see if you can lift it all the way up or if you experience any resistance before you get fully extended.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is under warranty take it into the dealer, sounds like a bad motor. I surely wouldn't force it unnecessarily.

wongs83

Reaction score
Thanks for the responce. I actually went out and tried it and the liftgate iss really shifted over and rubs on the edge of the bumper as well as the edge of the tailight, but I don't think it has anything to do with the problem, but rather may a seperate problem that is caused by the liftgate not working.

I can lift the gate by hand and it doesn't seem to have any type of hangup anywhere, but it is heavy to raise. SHouldn't the assist shafts on each side be helping this go up when raising by hand. I have a pacifica that has a liftgate like this and it's not power, but when you open it and it gets about 1/2 way up the assist shafts on the side raise it and keep it up. On the tahoe I'm having to muscle it up and hold it up or it will come slamming down.

wongs83

Reaction score
Of course it's not under warranty, nothing happens when it's still under warranty. I'm at about 41,000 miles.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should not be difficult to open... The shock's may be bad? (maybe just one of them)... That may explain why it only goes up to a certain point.

I dont believe they are very expensive to replace.

wongs83

Reaction score
It could very well be the problem. I went out and looked at them again and the driver side shock looks as though it has been leaking down the side of the opening where it is mounted on the bottom.

Anyone changed these before that can share a trick or two? Otherwise they look pretty self explanitory.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious if this will also resolve your issue with the gate hitting the bumper/tail light.

Please report back.....

wongs83

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion on where to purchase these parts or should I bite the bullet and purchase them from the dealer in hopes of maybe getting a tip or two in changing them?

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you looked yet, but i looked at mine last night, and they look very simple to replace.

There are two clips, one on top, one on bottom. Just get a screw driver under the clip and pry it out, away from the shock. Once they are unclipped, you should be able to pull the shock off (pull away from the door)

Install should be just the reverse.

Here is a quick site i looked up, that has some pics of pulling the clips off
http://p-car.com/diy/hoodshock/

NOTE: The door is pretty heavy, so try to hold the door up while pulling the shock off, so it does not close on you.

This may be a "standard" part. I hope the shock has a part number on it, so you may be able to cross reference it at your local parts store, or look online.

wongs83

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. You got a love the power of the internet!

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any update on this, just curious if the new shock stopped the gate from rubbing the bumper.

wongs83

Reaction score
The part was about $35, took me about 5 minutes to install and it works perferct now. It corrected the rubbing on the bumper and tailight problem as well. Thanks again for all the help.