Question re: LATCH system for Child seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xav8r

Reaction score
Relatively New Member with a First Time post and question ...

I have a 2001 Tahoe LT w/ 155k, and am in the process of tune-up, clean up, upgrade, etc ... My question is regarding the rear seats (2nd row seats) and the LATCH anchor system that was/is required by law on vehicles manufactured after September 2002.

Does anyone know if seats from an '03 would be plug-n-play (read "direct bolt in") for my '01? Anyone with knowledge and/or suggestions? While I'm at it ... has anyone found child seats (older than infant) that work well in the second row positions? My Britax Marathons leave the kids with almost no leg room, and feet on our front seats.

Thanks in advance.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
My 3 year old uses a booster seat I bought from wal mart. I like to have some front leg room and I have not noticed his feet up on my seat. It wasnt to badly priced at 16$.

Also I see no reason the 03 up seats will not bolt right in. The floor pan did not change.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought two seats for my 18 month old that were rear facing/forward facing... one for my 04 Tahoe with Qaud seat 2nd row and one for my wife's 2001 Grand Prix GT.

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/websto...formics-_-Affiliate-_-Shopping.com-_-DDI Link

The seat has an access for the seatbelt to hold it in place if you don't have the child restraint clips already. I use both the belt, and the clips.

They were not really that expensive considering what they are intended for, and I have about 14" in front of the chair for leg room now that it's forward facing. It also can be used as a booster seat for up to 100lbs. I'll probably get a booster seat for my son once he's old enough though. On long trips he tends to get pretty toasty, and I've seen seats that help the kids' backs stay cool. Remember, they're pretty much strapped to the seat until you remove them.

I tried 3 other types in my Hoe, and returned them all. This was the only one that I could find locally that would fit rear and forward facing, without having to move the pass. seat forward for clearance.

hope this helps!

BH

xav8r

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Appreciate your input and suggestions. We've been lucky and moving the kids around in the wife's Odyssey, however now needing to move them around in the Tahoe is becoming a more frequent need.

BTW, today was awesome towing the boat and putting the bodies in the 3rd row because there are seats crammed into the 2nd row :cool2:

I think I'd like to find some second row seats out of an '03, bolt them in, and get one of these seats you recommend.

Have fun & Safe driving

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the clips as well on the passenger side middle seat. my wifes old car did not have the clips, 1998 sedan, so I love them no, 10x's easier to clip in and WAY safer too.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2x on the clip I even use the seat belt too but Im not at the booster level yet Im still rocking the car seat for my 9 month old baby

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing how this thread popped up. Just last night we got a new booster seat for my 15 mon old daughter. I installed it using the LATCH system. Now she sits there and faces forward, it even reclines.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out and looked; for my three year old daughter we have the Graco Nautilus strapped in using the seat belt, and she actually sits right behind me on the driver side without her being able to kick my seat, we have our middle daughter's rear/forward facing seat in the middle using the latch system. Either way they fit securely.

xav8r

Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone for the efforts and suggestions. Guess I'm not the only one who loves my Tahoe only slightly less than I love my kids!

bleepjay

Reaction score
Bumping this very old thread, because I am in the same situation. I love my 01 'Hoe and don't really want to have to get a newer one, but I would LOVE to get some LATCH restraints. Is it possible to get the restraints in an '01 Tahoe? If it means getting newer (03) seats, then I can do it. I just want to know if it's possible.