Rain leak and Antenna issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nramo

Reaction score
Water started coming into my 2015 Tahoe, at first I thought the drains were backed up for the sunroof but after testing it no leaks were detected. I tested the shark fin antenna and sure enough water was leaking into the vehicle. I opened up the corner of the overhead cover and was able to reach in to unscrew the antenna. I unscrewed the antenna and it looks like the sun baked the plastic cover and the back screws became loose enough to let water in. The inside is destroyed by corrosion. After seeing that a replacement antenna costs almost $200 I just put it back together and tightened it better to the vehicle. No leaks now that it's tighter.

My big issue is that the dealer replaced this antenna sometime in 2016 and I'm disappointed that it is already gone bad.

If GPS or Satellite radio is not working, the antenna is the issue. Has anyone else had this issue?

felix324

Reaction score
Antenna Leak

A company’s goodwill is mainly based on the reliability of the product it makes and how well it stands it when has an obviously faulty part. Both my wife and I replace our vehicles about every 5 years. We have mainly stayed with Honda; that is, until 2016 when I purchase a Chevy Tahoe. The Tahoe is actually my first Chevy. My wife and I mainly listen to satellite radio but recently my Tahoe’s antenna went bad. It leaks inside the cabin on the driver’s side and I can no longer listen to satellite radio. My car is 38 months old and has 60,000 miles so I’m not under warrantee. I took it in to the dealer and they are charging me over $550 to replace it and the replacement is only guaranteed for 12,000 or 12 months whichever comes first.

Like I said, both my wife and I replace our vehicles about every 5 years. Neither one of us has ever had a problem with a satellite antenna. The only reason that an antenna would leak and stop working in 38 months is if it’s faulty. Chevrolet should recognize that and replaced it. An antenna doesn’t have any moving parts. It just picks up a signal and transmits it to your radio. For this reason a satellite antenna should have a much longer guarantee, such as 10 years.

In the meantime, my wife is about to trade in her car. She was actually thinking of getting a Chevy Traverse but this experience has destroyed her confidence in Chevrolet and how they stand behind their product. I too will not be buying a Chevrolet again. At least with us, Chevrolet has ruined their “goodwill.†It’s a shame that such a large company doesn’t realize that by not replacing a faulty part that cost $500 to $600 dollars to replace, they are losing thousands of dollars in future sales. To me, that is plain stupid.