RC keys and shocks w/new shoes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, finally put my RC level kit on with shocks. Keys in front, but I didnt add the 3/4" rear spacers as I figured I wouldnt need them for the tires. Went with Cooper ST/Maxx 285-70-17's, for now. The fenders sit right at 37" but I'm still able to get 39" when the keys are maxed out. I have 1.5" rear spacers on the shelf and will go in when I wear these tires out. BTW, I love the tires. Awesome off road traction and a slight hum on-road. Rides smooth as silk, no balance issues at all. Did a 3300 mile trip to Grand Forks AFB North Dakota just after Christmas and the tires performed perfect in the snow and ice. Daytime hi was 16 below and night time got down to 31 below. I ordered 1.5" wheel spacers that will widen the stance. They should be here in a week or 10 days. Here are a few pics.

Check out the temp in the mirror

jrobertson

Reaction score
Quick question guys; I am also new on the whole Tahoe thing. I recently installed 3 inch lift keys. The guy at the alignment shop told me maxing the keys out would cause the steering wheel to jerk violently when you hit a bump. Is this true? Im only sitting a half inch higher in the front than the back. I was really hoping for more clearance. Can you guys tell me how much is the max to turn the keys up without causing trouble? I still have almost a full inch of threads showing on my torsion key bolts. I have seen where several people are sitting a full 1.5"-2" higher in the front than the rear which is what I had hoped for so that I could put a 1 inch spacer in the rear and still be above level in the front. I like the squatted look. Do you guys have any measurement on how much threads you have left on your bolts? I assume some of these guys have them ran all the way up.

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alignment shop guy is full of crap. I put 1.5" spacers on the rear of mine and adjusted to level and got new 35x12.5x17's STT's on my Tahoe now. No adverse steering at all. Just a little trimming of the plastic and no rubbing at all.