Rear Access Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoosier37

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe and for the last few months whenever I start it I get a message saying Rear Access Open. This problem is somehow related to my dome light and my rear wiper which also don't work. I've spent a few hundred dollars thus far for basically labor and because the problem is intermittant, I'm back at square one. The mechanic I took it to said it had to do with a bad module in which he suggested I buy a new motor for my rear wiper???? It made no sense to me??!!!?? Anyway, he seemed to trace the issue to the rear hatch and he was able to make the problem go away for a couple days by tweaking the circuit board as he put it. The rain season where I live is now here and the fact I have no working rear wiper sucks! The dome light not working when the doors open also annoys me. Has anyone ever heard of such a problem??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Take care!

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your rear glass on your tail gate is ajar ..press the round circle button on the gate from the outside and the glass will pop open at yah close the glass a little harder since the latch is a bugger to catch i get this all time with mine

and your rear access msg will disappear and your rear windshild motor may work since the glass isnt fully closed the wiper wont run

good luck

MGYukon03

Reaction score
Did this solution work? I have the same issues... Rear Access Open Warning message on most all the time and rear window wiper not working.

2003 GMC Yukon... the "Rear Access Open" warning light and bell comes on and off during driving... typically staying on for extended periods of time. However, the rear door is closed. We have opened and closed the door, the upper window only, we've cleaned the latches. The door works fine. Locking and unlock works fine. However, when the warning light is active, I cannot use the secirity system as eventually the alarm will go off. So I deactivate security and lock the doors. I've taken it to a GM dealer however they have yet to be able to determine the issue.

TritonTahoecc

Reaction score
My 2003 Tahoe has the same problem, I have taken apart the back panel to make sure nothing has come undone. having the same problem with the message on dash, to get ride of it while driving just hit the back key on the steering wheel (quick fix). I took it to a Chevy dealer and it took a mechanic working there all of 2 seconds of me telling him what was wrong for him to tell me that it was the rear glass actuator. It apparently is a common part that cost $300 dollars. Not worth the money, best bet is to find one at a junk yard. Hope this helps.

badmicnic

Reaction score

Thank you Sir for the insight of this problem. I think you just saved me a pile of time and money. Cheers and Take Care.

RobbysDad

Reaction score
Here is something to check... Check your ground wires... I know sounds stupid, but they can cause so many things to go weird, not work, lights come on, etc. I have heard of mechanics over looking this all the time.

I have a 2005 Tahoe and I have 3 of them and one started to lose its ground when I had my wiper problem like you, but had gas cap warning, and I think ABS or Air Bag light on occasion.

Go on YouTube and check this out with people losing the ground or it is comes off how they spent thousands at the dealer or mechanic due to them pulling codes and changing parts and more and more problems.

Current is always going to take the path of least resistance and who knows what you have running in the truck, turn signals on, break lights, head lights, etc.