Rear bumper - corner dent - repair estimate reasonable?

How should I proceed with having this repair performed?:

• $250 is reasonable for body/paint shop to do the repairs

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • $250 is NOT reasonable for body/paint shop to do the repairs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I should make this a DIY project

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ggeorgia

Reaction score
On my 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe, the rear driver's side corner/fender has a dent -- just over 4 inches across in width (see pictures at bottom of post).

A shop in my area (Houston) gave me a ballpark estimate of $400. I didn't tell them that I recently purchased a living social deal for a $200 voucher on body work--bought it for $50. So the net cost would actually be about $250. Does this seem reasonable?

He mentioned that the rear bumper and rear light assembly would need to be disassembled to properly repair, finish, and paint. Since those components are really not too difficult to remove (I've disassembled both myself), I feel like he may be trying to make it sound like it will be a more work than it really is.

Is this something a DIYer like myself should attempt or am I asking for trouble?

Appreciate your help guys.

fender_corner%20dent_1.jpg

fender_corner%20dent_2.jpg

Last edited:

Vista Cruiser 69

Reaction score
Hi Georgia, consider removing the bumber on your own, (attach the plate somehow...) and then ask for another price. Tail light removal is two silly screws only but was required for a proper paint job, after the dent was pressed out.Some varnish seems to have come off at the edge, If you could live with the dent then paint the small crack on your own to avoid corrosion. If you want it clean you may consider my "partly DIY" suggestion. Isn't there a shop doing "SmartRepair" around at yur place worth comparing?

taho3fan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have no experience repairing a dent, I think your best best is a body shop. It will cost 200-300.