Rear Defrost cable broke off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tkdryan

Reaction score
OK so I have a 2008 Tahoe LT.

So after a recent snowstorm my rear wiper blade broke while removing the ice build-up by hand at warm-up time. As a result I was using the rear defroster a lot more to keep the rear window clear until I can get a new wiper, as after snowfall, the snow gets kicked up behind the vehicle and blocks the rear window view.

Now I notice that 1 of the 2 wires that connects to the rear defrost window grid has snapped off, right where it connects to the window. I suspect the cause was using the rear defrost back-to-back causing it to over-heat, and then the rapid cooling by the low temperature outside made it snap. I'm dealing with below-zero temperatures up here. I don't think it was broken by physical contact.

Anywho, what kind of compound can I use to reconnect it to the window? There's a little "U" shaped fork at the end of the wire that is still appears to be in its original shape, looks like whatever they used to connect it in the first place just gave out. Does it need to be soldered back on or is there some sort of epoxy I can use?

Thanks in advance!

Wav1911

Reaction score
I just had the exact same thing happen to me. I went to our Nappa car parts shop and they had a repair kit for $13 bucks. It's conductive epoxy and a cleaner wipe that preps the glass and end for reattachment. If you don't have a Nappa Auto, I bet any auto supply would carry similar product. Hope this helps!!

jweezy

Reaction score
OK so I have a 2008 Tahoe LT.

So after a recent snowstorm my rear wiper blade broke while removing the ice build-up by hand at warm-up time. As a result I was using the rear defroster a lot more to keep the rear window clear until I can get a new wiper, as after snowfall, the snow gets kicked up behind the vehicle and blocks the rear window view.

Now I notice that 1 of the 2 wires that connects to the rear defrost window grid has snapped off, right where it connects to the window. I suspect the cause was using the rear defrost back-to-back causing it to over-heat, and then the rapid cooling by the low temperature outside made it snap. I'm dealing with below-zero temperatures up here. I don't think it was broken by physical contact.

Anywho, what kind of compound can I use to reconnect it to the window? There's a little "U" shaped fork at the end of the wire that is still appears to be in its original shape, looks like whatever they used to connect it in the first place just gave out. Does it need to be soldered back on or is there some sort of epoxy I can use?

Thanks in advance!

There's actually a TSB on the rear window defrogger wires are to tightly wound and break at the window. Dealer fixed mine twice stretched cords and recently replaced the entire rear window GOOD DEAL The TSB for this is #03-08-48-006E
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/07-tahoe-liftgate-defrost-wire-fell-off-39447/

Last edited:

tkdryan

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for the info. The last issue with my 'hoe was a TSB as well, and the dealer fixed it for free. I'll see if they'll do the same here, I need to take it in for an oil change anyway. If not, I'll be hitting up Napa.

Thank you!