Rear Differential Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewtoTahoe

Reaction score
Took my 07 Tahoe in for an oil change and asked them to check the rear end since I was hearing some strange noises coming from it. First they pulled the plug and it had quite abit of steel shavings on it so they pulled the cover any my ring gear and pinion are showing significant wear and the back lash is way out of spec. Has anyone else had any similar problems? This should be covered under the warranty right?

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard of many people having this issue but it will be covered under warranty for sure. Good time to change the gear ratio if you were thinking of it :)

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It happens, let them fix it and as said above, try to get them to bump the ratio for you.

PaulC

Reaction score
If the Tahoe is 4x4, they'll have to get into the front diff as well if you want to change the final drive ratio. I'm sure that the dealer could do that, but get ready to dig down deep into your pocket.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the Tahoe is 4x4, they'll have to get into the front diff as well if you want to change the final drive ratio. I'm sure that the dealer could do that, but get ready to dig down deep into your pocket.

That's true, good point. It will cost ya.