rear hatch window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotrodtodd

Reaction score
Has anyone a solution to rear hatch window separation@ hinge. Window is glued to trim/hinge. whats up with that?

Last edited:

unhinged

Reaction score
unhinged

Has anyone a solution to rear hatch window separation@ hinge. Window is glued to trim/hinge. whats up with that?

I have a 2003 Suburban with 75k miles. About 1 week ago, the rear window began making a whistling noise while driving. When I inspected it, I found that the hinge had separated from the window. I have probably opened that window 20 times since I purchased the vehicle new in 2003. I phoned the dealer that I purchased it from, they were completely aware of the problem, as they had seen it before, but said I should come it. Their answer was "it can't be fixed, but rather a new rear window should be installed to the tune of $1,000. I contacted GM Customer Service who claimed they had never heard of this problem before, but also stated that the only solution would be to replace the entire rear window.

The vehicle has only been used for pleasure use, never towed a vehicle.

If you have had this happen to you or someone you know google: suburban rear window hinge

[email protected]

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep your eyes open on ebay for rear glass, I was about to buy a brand new 03-06 version w/o the outer rubber for only $350 shipped. Not sure how I got that deal but I sure was happy!

GeorgiaFan

Reaction score
First off , I'm new to the forum ! Nice to meet everyone ! Now maybe i can shed some light on this subject. I work for Safelite AutoGlass and we see this a lot ! What the deal is , is that the glue the factory used is crap ! Over time it obviously breaks down and in result breaks the bond from the glass and hinge. Sadly like everyone says the only way to fix it is a new or different glass. Anyone can change the glass its easy ! I would suggest shopping a local "u-pull it " lot to save yourself some money or Safelite and other Glass companies offer an "aftermarket" Glass for a lot cheaper than the $1000.00 . In some cases you can file this on your insurance and only have to pay your deductible , whatever that may be ! Your glass coverage deductible will in most cases be cheaper than you Collision deductible. Anyways to make a long story short if you decide to go with a used glass let me know and ill explain how to install it. Its real easy ! Hope i helped out in some way. Oh and the fitment of the "aftermarket" glass it dead on with the OEM one !

gumbus

Reaction score
Rear Hatch Debond

Well that blows. I have the same problem. You can't take it to Safelite or any other glass repair place and have it reglued? Like get a rear view mirror fix it kit and use that glue for the hinge? :confused:

RakefighterZ71

Reaction score
GeorgiaFan, still there?

I now have the broken hinge/liftglass problem. Is the replacement for the 2003 Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon and Yukon XL all the same glass? Mine is deep tint with heat. If I find one that is deep tint w/heat, does it madder which model it comes from, and do you still have those directions on how to transfer the glass from one Tahoe to the other? All help is welcome and appreciated.

First off , I'm new to the forum ! Nice to meet everyone ! Now maybe i can shed some light on this subject. I work for Safelite AutoGlass and we see this a lot ! What the deal is , is that the glue the factory used is crap ! Over time it obviously breaks down and in result breaks the bond from the glass and hinge. Sadly like everyone says the only way to fix it is a new or different glass. Anyone can change the glass its easy ! I would suggest shopping a local "u-pull it " lot to save yourself some money or Safelite and other Glass companies offer an "aftermarket" Glass for a lot cheaper than the $1000.00 . In some cases you can file this on your insurance and only have to pay your deductible , whatever that may be ! Your glass coverage deductible will in most cases be cheaper than you Collision deductible. Anyways to make a long story short if you decide to go with a used glass let me know and ill explain how to install it. Its real easy ! Hope i helped out in some way. Oh and the fitment of the "aftermarket" glass it dead on with the OEM one !