Rearview mirror "ICE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started up my tahoe after lunch and it was snowing. I looked at the mirror to see the temperature and it said 32deg then switched and said ICE, then toggled back and forth a few times and stayed on 32. Has anybody seen this before? Is it just a warning for possible icy conditions, or is there more to it? Strangely enough during my trip to michigan which was mostly well below freezing, I never saw this message.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just a warning. Iv'e seen the same thing on Cadillacs and a Lincoln.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I started up my tahoe after lunch and it was snowing. I looked at the mirror to see the temperature and it said 32deg then switched and said ICE, then toggled back and forth a few times and stayed on 32. Has anybody seen this before? Is it just a warning for possible icy conditions, or is there more to it? Strangely enough during my trip to michigan which was mostly well below freezing, I never saw this message.

Mine did it when it was 36* out as it just lets you know that icy road conditions are possible.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha ha, yours are all dumb then :lol:

mine only showed ice when i was driving on ice, whether it was 20 degrees, or 36, if there was black ice on the road it said ice, if the roads were dry it said the temp and thats it. :cool2:

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please explain...

ha ha, yours are all dumb then :lol:

mine only showed ice when i was driving on ice, whether it was 20 degrees, or 36, if there was black ice on the road it said ice, if the roads were dry it said the temp and thats it. :cool2:

How it would sense actual ice on the road?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what i mean is when i turned on the car, if it was dry and no snow or ice on the ground (it could be 32 degrees) it would not flash, but when i went up to illinois where there was snow all over the place and in rural areas with not a real good salt patrol, it would flash ice, it did not flash when i was driving, just when i started up, but it knew when there was water on the road. :yesnod:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is basically what I am asking, does it have some sort of humidity or barometric sensor somewhere?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think mine is broken. :skep:

it just said ice for 67 degrees. so what i think was happening with mine is it was not adjusting to the temp right.

from my other exprence with gm's ice thing, it just warns of possable ice when its below a certain temp.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's nothing more than a brief warning that outside temperature is approaching the freezing point of water. It's linked strictly to the outside temperature probe.

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's nothing more than a brief warning that outside temperature is approaching the freezing point of water. It's linked strictly to the outside temperature probe.

+1

It behaves that way in all the so-equipped GM vehicles I own, have owned and driven. I recall seeing it in all of them at about 34F.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will only flash the "ICE" for a brief time when you first start up.

I'd venture that most of you just never looked up when it was on. It will be there when the conditions are right..

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why is the tahoe/yukon the only one that says ice on the mirror. almost every other gm vehicle warns it on the DIC. :cryin:

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our thermometer is there so it kinda makes sense. If I'm at all concerned I will be checking thermo anyway.

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will only flash the "ICE" for a brief time when you first start up.

I'd venture that most of you just never looked up when it was on. It will be there when the conditions are right..

+1

It will also show up if the temperature falls as you are driving, i.e. pull out of the toasty 55F garage into the 25F weather, or a good cold front blows through, and it will display 'ICE' as the temperature falls through about 34F.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of my cars (tahoe and the XXXterra) have done it. But the temp was to be around 30 or so.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a 98 hoe and it flashed ICE... so its been around awhile

beach109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1

It will also show up if the temperature falls as you are driving, i.e. pull out of the toasty 55F garage into the 25F weather, or a good cold front blows through, and it will display 'ICE' as the temperature falls through about 34F.

Yes. We got used to the message often while intermittently driving wherever when it was cold, got colder than it was, etc. in the low 30's or lower, in both our '02 Avalanche and '04 Suburban.

It's basically just temperature sourced, and has been around in many GM's for a LONG time. Nice little detail, I've always thought.