Recommended tire pressure 305/40-22

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmitty115

Reaction score
Just put some new rims on my truck and wondering what everyone is running for tire pressures with this size tire/rim. The max load is 50lbs and that is what was in the tires when I bought them but the truck rides like a brick. I have searched this forum and found a few similar discussions but nothing with this size tire. I currently lowered the pressure to 42lbs which seemed to help but would like to take a few more pounds out if possible. I sent Nitto an email last night as well to see what they recommend. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use the pressure on the door sticker. It's the pressure recommended by the manufacturer taking into consideration vehicle weight (absent unusually heavy loads) to give a nice smooth safe ride. Usually 32 lbs.. I run 32-35 lbs.. Any less than that hurts gas mileage and overheats the tire. Any more than that creates a rock hard ride. (as you found out)

50 or even 42 lbs. is waaaaay too much.

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 44 Lbs all the way around. (305-40-22) rides like its on a cloud, a little stiffer than stock but perfect for me.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and one other thing I forgot to mention about running too much air. Your tires will wear out prematurely in the middle.

rsmitty115

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and one other thing I forgot to mention about running too much air. Your tires will wear out prematurely in the middle.

JD I appreciate all the input it has been a big help. I lowered them down to 40psi in each tire and they actually seem a little low. In speaking with a tire distributer yesterday they are claiming that a good rule of thumb is to increase the pressure from stock 2lbs for every inch of rim you add. Truck seems to ride MUCH better. Now I just need to get the TPMS working.....

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, according to that tire distributor you've got the right pressure in them now. I'd be interested in what Nitto has to say about it. Let us know.

And relearning the TPMS is kind of a pain if you don't have an electric air pump at home. When I did mine I just followed the directions in the manual and it worked just like it was supposed to.

rsmitty115

Reaction score
If Nitto doesn't email me back soon I will give them a call and advise. I followed the process from a previous post on here regarding reteaching the TPMS and it worked. Was actually very easy. Thanks again for all the input.

rsmitty115

Reaction score
Nitto emailed me back today and they recommend 35psi (cold) for this size tire.