Redesign Tahoe in 2014?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edith

Reaction score
We went looking for a new Tahoe earlier in the week and discovered several drawbacks to the truck. Too many seats and when they are folded down, the interior floor is not flat. Knowing nothing, but my impression is that to get permission from the government to build a Tahoe, it has to be designed as a people carrier, thus lots of unnecessary seats. We were also told that GM would redesign the truck for 2014 and that the fold down seats would lie flat. I would also guess that the redesigned truck would be smaller, probably getting rid of the 8 cylinder engine. The strange thing is that this redesign reminds me of our 1986 Chevy S-10 Tahoe. An updated version of that truck would seem to be the perfect vehicle for us. So, the question is has anyone heard anything about a 2014 Tahoe redesign and what those features would be? The dealers should know, so if someone would give us some information, it would be greatly appreciated.

20Tahoe12LT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read that because of the way the suspension is, that there won't be a fold flat interior. I do not think that they are getting rid on the V-8 either.

clkelley

Reaction score
WELCOME to the neighborhood!

I highly doubt that they will redesign them that far. The vast majority of Tahoe and Suburban customers like the seating. While the fold flat seats would be a great option, I don't think that would be possible.

Also, the Trailblazer, Equinox and others from GM offer similar advantages as the S-10 Blazers of the past.

Rockwood

Reaction score
Too many seats and when they are folded down, the interior floor is not flat. Knowing nothing, but my impression is that to get permission from the government to build a Tahoe, it has to be designed as a people carrier, thus lots of unnecessary seats. .

Ignoring the pretty blatant Fox TV/Republican smack down, lets just say that without the intervention of Bush and support from Obama, there would be no GM today.

I'm very grateful that GM was saved. There are plenty of 2014 spy shots out there. Try using Google....

edith

Reaction score
Aren't Cars Politically Designed?

Ignoring the pretty blatant Fox TV/Republican smack down, lets just say that without the intervention of Bush and support from Obama, there would be no GM today.

I'm very grateful that GM was saved. There are plenty of 2014 spy shots out there. Try using Google....

Since you threw politics into the mix, let me make a suggestion that the design of the rear springs on a Tahoe would be the cover so that the vehicle has to be used as a people carrier and not the more versatile people/cargo carrier. If you will note several people have said that the back area can't be flat because of the rear spring design. It would seem ludicrous for a manufacturer to not have cargo carrying capacity as a major feature of purpose of the vehicle. It just seems more plausible that somewhere within the workings of the EPA, etc., they reached some weird compromise as to what it would take to continue the production of the gas guzzling Tahoe, and then the engineering was devised to ensure that the agreement was kept, i.e. it would be used as a people carrier.

NewTahoe13LT

Reaction score
You're putting way too much creative thought into this. The suspension on the Tahoe has prevented the fold flat 3rd row since the Tahoe's inception. An awful lot of folks buy the Tahoe because of this suspension and the way it makes a full size truck-based SUV handle on-road, off-road, with a trailer, and with all the extras on the Special Service vehicles. When GM A) starts losing significant sales to competitors because of no fold-flat 3rd row *AND* B) figures out how to change the suspension to accommodate a fold-flat 3rd row without compromising handling, ride quality, cargo space, and towing capacity, they will do so.

Just because other manufacturers have SUV's with the fold flat 3rd row, don't assume this means GM can do it without changing how the vehicle feels. You have a LOT of people who make repeat purchases of the Tahoe and it's equivalents. Change it too much and those folks start looking elsewhere.

If you want fold-flat 3rd row and similar cargo space, get a Traverse. It's really a fantastic choice if you don't need what the Tahoe has to offer over it. We almost did, but my wife liked the Tahoe too much and has always wanted one.

By the way, I find the Tahoe's 3rd row to be fairly comfortable. Almost every other SUV we looked at with the fold flat 3rd row had thin, hard, uncomfortable seats. Undoubtedly because those seats had to be a certain thickness to fold flat into the floor.

tconne01

Reaction score
2014 Tahoe Will Be ALL New

I have worked for the same Chevrolet dealership for thirty years. I was recently in the same room as the all new 2014 Tahoe. And all I can say is that if you love the features of the current Tahoe, You will absolutely love the all new design. and it will offer third row seats that will fold down flat into the floor !

jleech

Reaction score
I have worked for the same Chevrolet dealership for thirty years. I was recently in the same room as the all new 2014 Tahoe. And all I can say is that if you love the features of the current Tahoe, You will absolutely love the all new design. and it will offer third row seats that will fold down flat into the floor !

Any idea when the 2014 Tahoe will be revealed,or when it will be put on sale?

tconne01

Reaction score
2014 Tahoe

All I was told was that they will hit dealer lots sometime
In 2013. Could be Feb, or could be Sept ,
I would guess by summer.

jleech

Reaction score
Thanks;looking forward to seeing them in the shows in the spring.I just recently traded for a 2011 LT with 29,000 miles.That will give me enough time to try this one out and see which one I like the best.Thanks for the info;I'll be keeping in touch for any more word about them on the forum.

joihan777

Reaction score
This Ford lover is seriously considering a 2014-15 Tahoe to replace our aging minivan. My spouse & I LOVE the front bench seat option.... it just feels more family focused.

We also love the seating for 9 and the tough frame. Ford no longer has a vehicle comparable to this, so I think I'm gonna be a Chevy guy soon! :waytogo: The flat floor idea seems great. We also like the reserved, classy styling. Don't need all that "bling" feeling techno gibberish messing up a solid design. Knobs will do, don't need a distracting 'touch' screen to turn off A/C etc.

Have to say though... the 'Eco-Boost' engine idea has merit & we hope GM will have a similar strategy soon. A tough V6 or a tiny V8, both with direct injection & dual turbocharging, seem like a natural fit for these SUVs.

PS - First post here!

Last edited:

jleech

Reaction score
Don't think you will see a v-6 in the Tahoe.The chevy v-8 gets as good mileage as a v-6 would in this heavy body on frame truck.It will surprise me if GM goes with a turbo v-6 for the tahoe.

tconne01

Reaction score
Plus I don't think even a Turbu V6 would have enough ponys to do all the things the Tahoe does so well like TOWING ! Look for I would bet a $ 100.00 dollar bill that amount weight saving things like lighter materials that you will see at least a 7 speed transmission to increase mileage on the all new 2014 Tahoe/Suburban

Rockwood

Reaction score
I suspect the changes in the Tahoe/Suburban to be substantial. Bet we'll see independent rear suspension which will release tons of room to the interior.

jleech

Reaction score
I suspect the changes in the Tahoe/Suburban to be substantial. Bet we'll see independent rear suspension which will release tons of room to the interior.

I also was hoping for the independent rear susp. on the new tahoe,but according to a spy photo on the internet I saw,the rear susp. looks the same as before,they said.This will be disappointing unless they find another way to get the room for fold down rear seats.:sad72: