Remove wax from plastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neloms

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I searched the forum pretty well but couldn't find an answer. I have a 2005 Black Z71 with the plastic molding around the wheel wells. I got wax on it and now it has a hazy, gray color to it. Any good ideas or products to remove/restore the black color to the plastic? I use 'Back-to-black' regularly on all the exterior plastic but the haze still remains.
Thanks.

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recomend using clay bar on it. It should pick of the wax. After it is removed then use your back to black.

Jon

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem last year. Mine was from Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish. Did wonder for the paint but a bugger to get off the black door handle trim and other black trim. I don't remember what I tried to clean it with but nothing took it off. Armour All or even Black Magic Tire Black would work for a while but after it wore/washed off I was back to the white glaze. I thought about trying the Back to Black next summer but it sounds like the same story, you would need to reapply often. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has some better input.

goat364

Reaction score
Try scrubbing at it with a WHITE scotchbrite pad. White is the most gentile and I used it to get wax off my mom's Z71 Colorado's flares. It works pretty good but be careful not to let the pad rub on the paint. White pads are kind of hard to find, but I was turned on to them while working for a boat detailing company. So check marine supply stores.

Oh and Turtle Wax ICE wax works well on plastic to cover up paste wax marks. It last longer and is less streaky after rain than back to black and traditional dressings too!

Last edited:

ridding-dirty

Reaction score
I use to take a old tooth brush and scrub at it after its good and dry, the brisles get in the deep spots and its soft enough to to hurt anything.:thumbsup:

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that are reading this in hopes of avoiding this happening to them let me share my trick. I place blue painters tape over all the black plastic near where I will be waxing. Using my Porter CAble 7424 it is very easy to run over the edge of the plastic. By placing the blue painters tape on the edges I double of on the protection.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happens everytime I detail. I use back to black and even Turtle wax liquid ICE works GREAT. I only use the liquid ice on the rubber and plastiv mouldings...it works wonders.

RyanbabZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try a white eraser (MAKE SURE IT IS white do not use one of the pink ones it will not work) on the trim if there is wax residue on it. Works great and easy to do.