Removing Paint Transfer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was driving down the road while it was really windy out and somebody's recycling bin slid out in to the road in front of me. I nailed the brakes but there was no way I could stop in time, so as I looked in my rear-view mirror I saw half of it still there...the other half was in a few hundred pieces.

So now I have some paint transfer from the bin (dark blue) still on my paint, I've scrubbed it with a rag and some soap, but cant' get it off. I'm really not sure how abrasive of rag/cleaner I should use. I have some Meguiars ScratchX, would that work, or is that too abrasive, or not abrasive enough? What about a dobie pad?

Any input will be appreciated, TIA!

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some Meguiars ScratchX, would that work, or is that too abrasive, or not abrasive enough? What about a dobie pad?

YIKES! :eek2: Dont' use that dobie pad!!! ScratchX is pretty abrasive, but might be worth a shot -- I don't think it'll take it off. I think those bins are made of ABS plastic. You might actually do well to try a terry/microfiber towel with some gasoline OR some isopropyl rubbing alcohol on it (I'd try both, but not at the same time). Rub it gently but firmly, and definitely wax the area when you're done. Let us know how it turns out, and good luck!

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I busted out the isopropyl this morning and lightly wiped it with a paper towel. Worked like a charm (except for the remaining scratches. I'm going to do a nice 3 step wax job now, thanks for the advice!