Removing the console on my 03 split bench.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkitec

Reaction score
03 Tahoe, The lid on my console has broken, I would like to repair it in the comfort of the heated house, but I seem to be unable to figure out how to remove the console from the full seat. Once I've removed the bolt on the drivers side it moves easily, however the passenger side, with the bolt removed, it doesn't seem to want to come loose. I can't see behind the plastic shrouding and with shivering fingers it's hard to spend much time out there. Does anyone have a blow up detail of how the console is attached, so that I can figure out how to remove this thing?

bluetahoe2211

Reaction score
Yea mines broken too. Guess im going to eventually need to replace the entire console because the previous owner screwed a bunch of holes in it trying to mount household hinges. Anyone have any ideas, pricing, etc?

Darkitec

Reaction score
I figured out how to remove it finally. One bolt on drivers side and on the passenger side of the seat is a panel, lift up and pull that back to access two bolts here that will allow you to remove the entire condole. As for the hinge, I ended up cutting a slot in some brass tube about the same size as the original hinge, soldered a piece of flat brass to each side and then drilled some small screws through the lid to hold the original hinge points to the lid. It cost me about $15. I found replacement lids on Amazon, but they are in the $150 to $200 range. The springs are still trying to break everything loose and eventually I'll have to break down and buy a new lid, but this works for now.

I may still transfer these hinge braces to the new piece when I get it, just to strengthen it for the long term.

Attachments

• P1010010.jpg
    P1010010.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 7
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg