replace steering wheel motion sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is the only steering position sensor. If I understand correctly, this signal from the sensor controls the EVO in the steering box... which is what gives the different feedback feel of the steering wheel.

This sensor seems to be a common part to replace. I'm just glas it's not too expensive, and it's easy to swap. 10-15 min tops.

bassman542001

Reaction score
Just where is the EVO valve located on the steering box. Do you think that it would be a good idea to replace both the valve and the motion sencor?

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far of all the searching and reading I've done on different forums for this info... I have yet to come across anyone who replaced the actual EVO unit (whatever it even looks like). I think I read of 1 person who replaced the entire steering box... but the majority of issues I read of this topic seemed to be fixed w/ just a sensor replacement.

Try it first... and see.

Even when I took my old sensor out, it 'looked' perfectly fine... but it jerked me before.. so I took it out and killed it. the new one works fine, and truck's steering feels great.

handrew23

Reaction score
Where can I buy the sensor other than the dealer?

I'm having the same steering problem and want to change the sensor. Has anyone bought one online? If so where? Thanks for the pictures also, I was completely lost.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can find it online, but I'd look for the AC Delco brand part (oem).
I forgot the actual part#.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been meaning to do this, thanks for the write up ESPECIALLY THE PICS!!!

when going around an interstate on/off ramp @ around 35mph seems to be when my problem occurs. i'll be turning slowly then if feels like the steering wheel "flops" real quickly to a full turn. really NOT cool! it seems like some1 jerked the wheel, but my steering wheel remained in the position for a gradual turn. i can feel the feedback in the steering wheel like the power steering mechanical advantage got increased quite suddenly. i assume changing the sensor will correct my problem, based on what i have read.

i may do it this weekend because i had a close call recently. i was driving in lots of traffic it almost made me sideswipe a car going through a curvy section.

as for the EVO & steering box, i've heard of many people who replaced theirs and still have the exact same problem. then they changed the position sensor in this write up and it fixed the problem. i would advise against changing the steering box.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JW... my indication was similar in feel... pretty dramatic for me.. but it only took 1 time to convince me to change.

I was turning a RH corner near a courthouse... and it did just as you describe.. and steering felt disconnected, yet was still fighting me. I even heard tire screeching and I thought I was gonna crash... It woulda looked like I was driving recklessly... but I wasn't. Anyway.. all seems fine now.

Good luck!~

IMHO... this should be a recall.

DigitalDenali1

Reaction score
If you're looking for a place to get parts, try www.gmotors.com. That's a Chevy dealership in FL that charges non-local people 10-20% over cost for parts and is fair with their shipping charges. I've purchased several parts from them (including the steering wheel position sensor that I just ordered today) since they're a great way to get cheap OEM parts. Its funny how they quote prices though. I called for an alternator for a Cadillac I used to have and the guy says it'll be $240 which was the same price as the local Caddie dealership. Then I say I need it shipped to Chicago and he changes his price to $125 + $15 shipping. They even refunded my core charge when I shipped the old one back to them. The local dealership wanted $90 for the steering wheel pos sensor, but they're going to ship me one for $62.

azn.styl

Reaction score
Those looking for where the EVO is...It's screwed into the power steering pump. The sensor sends signal to the pump and the pump adjusts line pressure to the steering gear. Great write up! Thanks.

jlinderman

Reaction score
anyone ever had the sensor fail after they replace the sensor

I replaced the sensor and it seemed to fix it, yet shortly (2 months or so) it started doing the same thing all over again.

MsMOPAR

Reaction score
I just changed out my pitman arm and idler arm, and I also have shot boots on my ball joints, but before I replace them, should I change the sensor and see if that is really the culprit? It feels like you are all describing it...but I also don't know of a way to test the sensor as I would test any other electrical component... Is there a way to do that? Or should I just replace the sensor?

1999tahoeFL

Reaction score
I just changed out my pitman arm and idler arm, and I also have shot boots on my ball joints, but before I replace them, should I change the sensor and see if that is really the culprit? It feels like you are all describing it...but I also don't know of a way to test the sensor as I would test any other electrical component... Is there a way to do that? Or should I just replace the sensor?

It's such a cheap and easy fix, just did it today. Steering feels great now!!!!
10/15 minutes max. So glad I fixed it.

bodie3

Reaction score
Good as new

Hey thanks to everyone who has contributed to this and other posts about this subject. This solution works great. The part was easy to change and the 'kinks' in the steering are gone with this little $30 part. The alignment doesn't seem to matter, just slip the new one on the shaft and plug it in and everything will be just fine.

Thanks again guys.

yodanny

Reaction score
I'm reading of all your successes with getting the shaft to move forward to remove the sensor. I easily removed the bolt, but the "bell shaped" metal sleeve will not budge beyond about 1/4 inch. I hit it with a drift and hammer, but I cannot get it to move much past the bolt hold alignment; maybe 1/4 inch. Still not enough to separate the shaft. Looking at the design, I can't believe there is this much play in the system to allow a 1+ inch movement to release the arm. Mine won't move into the firewall and from the engine side, I also removed the bolt from the middle of the shaft thinking it might also have a bit of play. No luck. Any advice? Should I pound harder? Nothing seems to be jammed or rusted, just no room to move the shaft forward. HELP!

ralatkins

Reaction score
Help question......

Is there one of these magical things on the 1995 models? My local stealer ship says there is not a part number listed.

chevalanche

Reaction score
I'm about to change my lower steering column bearing (due to it being worn and causing a clunking while turning slowly) and have to remove the steering wheel sensor first. Being that there is nothing wrong with the sensor and I will be reusing it, I thought I would make a mark on the steering shaft and the part of the sensor that it connects to. The sensor housing is mounted to the bearing housing and is stationary, so, if I mark where the rotating part of the sensor attaches to the shaft it wouldnt matter what position the steering wheel is in when I reassemble the sensor. Am I correct in this? Any input would be appreciated.

Woodstock

Reaction score
Chevalanche, I'm told that the sensor does not need to be clocked. I'd just make sure it goes in the same way it came out. I'm also told some electronic cleaner/lube keeps it working good.

chevalanche

Reaction score
You are correct Woodstock; thanks for the info. I copied instructions off another site listing all the different sensors; some required clocking and others, such as mine have a double D slot that fits the shaft only 2 ways. I just made sure it went on the same way I took it off. I replaced the lower column bearing and now must decide on a replacement ISS; either the updated GM or a Dorman. Did not mean to jack the thread but it's all tied in to the sensor.