Replaced starter still won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPriddy80

Reaction score
:confused2: battery is good has 12.5 volts, replaced starter and it was good for 5 days now it won't start agian. When I try to start it it just clicks and thats it. Is this a wiring problem or something else?? Please if u can help? The starter i bought was actually a starter assembly included the soleniod, and my battery is only 5 months old.

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things I'd check for:

1) I know you said the battery looks good @ 12.5V, but how old is the battery? I had this exact problem on another vehicle many years ago. Battery tested okay (voltage), but had a bad cell inside and couldn't deliver the current/power (cold-cranking-Amps) required.

2) Starter solenoid. Big fat coil/capacitor, basically. Probably separate from the starter in this case (someone jump in here and correct me!), which is why a new starter didn't fix it. For me, the solenoid wasn't a cheap part: it happened to be integrated with the starter assembly on my other vehicle when it went bad - had to buy a whole new starter assembly. "Go Mopar." :cuss:

Beyond that, you're past my limited knowledge - good luck!

P.S. Only other "random thought" would be salt-water corrosion on the zinc battery terminals. Pop off the battery leads and use a wire brush and clean the terminals and connectors, then re-install the connectors. I think there is also some sort of electrical "grease" that you can put on there (like a sort of petroleum jelly) that can protect the connections...

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Is the mesh set correctly between the starter pinion gear and flexplate? If it is too tight, you risk premature wear on the teeth and the starter as a whole. And sometimes it can be tight enough that it won't even be able to rotate if it sits at a point on the flexplate that is just enough out of round.
Check all your connections from the battery to the starter and also the ground on the battery. Sometimes corrosion will build up between the terminals and cause a voltage drop only when there is a huge amount of current trying to pass that certain point. And sometimes you won't see this with a meter unless there is actually current running through the circuit.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused2: battery is good has 12.5 volts, replaced starter and it was good for 5 days now it won't start agian. When I try to start it it just clicks and thats it. Is this a wiring problem or something else?? Please if u can help? The starter i bought was actually a starter assembly included the soleniod, and my battery is only 5 months old.

How much voltage was across the battery with the engine running? Normally it should be around 14v. If it is lower, the alternator is not charging enough. Can you get it started off a jump start?

Take the starter off and have it tested. Is it brand new, or rebuilt? It is possible that your new starter is bad. I know because this has happened to me.

If you can get it started, take it to NAPA or some other parts store. They have diagnostic equipment that they can use to check the condition of the starter, battery, and alternator while these are still on the vehicle. I have had them do this for me several times, and it's always free. Just be sure you leave the engine running while you go into the store.

Two things I'd check for:

1) I know you said the battery looks good @ 12.5V, but how old is the battery? I had this exact problem on another vehicle many years ago. Battery tested okay (voltage), but had a bad cell inside and couldn't deliver the current/power (cold-cranking-Amps) required.

2) Starter solenoid. Big fat coil/capacitor, basically. Probably separate from the starter in this case (someone jump in here and correct me!), which is why a new starter didn't fix it. For me, the solenoid wasn't a cheap part: it happened to be integrated with the starter assembly on my other vehicle when it went bad - had to buy a whole new starter assembly. "Go Mopar." :cuss:

I agree, the battery could be the problem here. But it could be the alternator also. Since it lasted for 5 days, I would suspect the alternator more at this point.

The solenoid is attached to the starter on GM products. It is basically an electro magnet. It is not a capacitor. It is easily replaced on these starters, but it does not sound like the problem in this case. You would probably hear the starter motor spinning if the solenoid was bad.

It is always a good idea to keep battery cables clean. Dirty cable problems usually crop up when the weather gets cold at the end of fall, but can occur at any time if they are bad enough. Good suggestion.

JPriddy80

Reaction score
So the starter tested good when i took it to get tested, thats the first thing that i thought it was. So that i guess leaves me with the alternator. I will see if i can get a jump today. thx guys

JPriddy80

Reaction score
working

I feel like an idiot. I got it running, i tightened up the grounding strap from the battery and i cleaned the terminals and magically it works.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like an idiot. I got it running, i tightened up the grounding strap from the battery and i cleaned the terminals and magically it works.

Great! I dunno if you're really in Hawaii (wish I was), but I figured electrical connection corrosion could be the issue... Been there, done that! DOH! :D

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're up and running again. It's great when the fix is something simple like that, and you don't have to buy any new parts. Now you have beer money for the weekend.:cheers:

TyCoon

Reaction score
The starter may not be grounded very well. Run a jumper cable from the negative terminal and clamp the body of your starter to check this. If the starter works fine with this set-up, then remove the starter, clean the corrosion around it and where it mounts, and reinstall it.

Beeker702

Reaction score
Think everyone had that problem at least once in their life time. Glad all is well amd it was just something simple