Replacing 2nd Row Bench w/ Captains???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What has to be done to convert the 2nd row into Captains chairs? Do they just swap out or is there some hardware needed?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure Scotto but I think as long as you get the buckets including the bases and bracketry that go with them it would just bolt in. Thinking the outside mount holes are the same and then there would be inner mounting for each bucket. Look to make sure at least the pedestals come with and then you'd probably be real close to having everything you need. Another thing would be to see if the dealer parts department can show you the exploded view diagrams, showing part numbers and names of the parts. Are you looking to go power folding? That's a lot more parts there, and if I was able to get a picture of mine that's what it would show. Also there is a carpeted piece that surrounds the seat, on the floor; it snaps into its own mounting plate thingy and you'd probably want that to make it look good.

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking for my Yukon xl in late August the dealer told me the bench and captains chairs for the second row do just "swap out". And with the seats off it appears that is correct. He told me they swap all the time to match up cars to the buyer. He was a salesman but on this point I believe him. He had no more captains chairs left to swap so I bought elsewhere. The Suburban should be the same. Hope this helps'
Joe

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you swapped them out after you already had the truck? Or before you bought it?

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking for my Yukon xl in late August the dealer told me the bench and captains chairs for the second row do just "swap out". And with the seats off it appears that is correct. He told me they swap all the time to match up cars to the buyer. He was a salesman but on this point I believe him. He had no more captains chairs left to swap so I bought elsewhere. The Suburban should be the same. Hope this helps'
Joe

same here. I was looking to get the 2nd row split bench and most of the Denali's had 2nd row capt chairs. I was told the seat could be switched with no problem. I ended up getting a steal on my Denali with capt chairs. Happy i did. makes it easier to get to the 3rd seat. I wish there was some type of rug in between the seats though

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote[I wish there was some type of rug in between the seats though]

Are you saying there's no carpet between the second row seats? My Tahoe has carpet there.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a bench Tahoe in which the dealer switched in buckets, leaving the center unfinished. There should be full carpeting there, as well as a carpeted "U" surrounding each bucket. I'd march into the dealership and demand a completed interior.

bocaytomas

Reaction score
dealer said the same thing, that i should go to a junkyard and find one. i found them in GMparts store their 750 each, plus install, unless you can do it your self.

pgaduane

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the new model Tahoe/Yukon/Suburbans, but I had an 04 Suburban that came with a bench seat for the second row. I found matching OEM Captain Chairs for the second row on ebay and purchased them.

I removed a few trim pieces, removed the nuts that secured the bench in place, pulled it out and put the new chairs in place. They bolted up perfectly and there was already carpet in between the seats so no worry there.

It was identical to a factory install - everything was a bolt on application. Made a difference in the Burb.

pgaduane