Replacing Oil Pressure sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TB56

Reaction score
06 5.3 v8 oil pressure sending unit replacement

A quick follow up on the oil pressure sending unit. Borg unit is working well . Just turned 205,000 miles and all is well.

AmyG

Reaction score
Thanks again. The real trick is keeping the kids out of the garage. :/
Duct tape...there's that.

AmyG

Reaction score
Because Chevy hates me...

It's done. And it worked. And it was...comical. A note: DON'T just try to use your 3/8" drive because you're too impatient to wait until morning for the store to open in order to buy the 1/2" that one of your darling children must have played hockey with one day. DO just get the best tool, or there may be new words floating around the atmosphere by the time you get done.

The tutorials above are spot-on, except for where it said that the old sender comes off pretty easily. Mine was like a cannon-ball in concrete. With an impressive weld. (See tool note above.)
I can't really think of anything helpful to add - great tutorial and Thank You!!
:happy160:

roycet4

Reaction score
Reviving this thread

Thank you to all the previous posts.. I had the same issue with the oil pressure gage pegged at 80psi, I actually changed out all the gage stepper motors due to the speedometer not working and the tach starting to jump. After I replaced the motors the oil pressure was still pegged, so a new sending unit solved the problem.. and yes, quite a pain to get to.

Kobedog

Reaction score
Thought I'd pitch it here.

My 'Hoe has well over 200,000 on it and my oil pressure gauge pegged at 80. It was the sender unit which, by the later responses in this thread, is behind the intake cover at the back of the engine. It is a cheap fix, but also requires that specific socket to do it. It is a bitch to get to and I tried several times and gave up. Gave the unit to my mechanic when I went in for another issue. Saved a lot of swearing on my part. :eek: But if you have patients, and eyeballs that can see around corners, it can be done. Maybe in a perfect world, GM will put these in an accessible location!

One post mentioned the instrument cluster. Well they go bad too! My speedometer, fuel gauge, and water temp all went FUBAR. Don't let GM talk you into a new $500 instrument cluster!!! Unless you are a complete water-head with no motor skills, you can repair this yourself for $50 or have someone do it for you for $100. You can buy all the stepper motors online, and the solder iron, AND solder-sucker (important) and do it yourself. It was a little scary at first because I'm NOT an electrician, but it was actually very easy and done in under an hour. So man-up and give it a shot. Beats giving GM more money, or watching your speedometer going caddywompus!