Review: Pedders Sport Lowering Coils and GSR Big Bore Rear Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This might be a little long, but it should shed some light on the Pedders Suspesion parts that have been talked about on this forum. Please read on and feel free to comment!

Its been a little over a week since my dad and I installed the Pedders Sport Lowering Coils and Pedders GSR Big Bore rear shocks on my 2007 z71 Suburban. I wanted to experience these products under a number of different road conditions, speeds, and driver inputs, thus the gap between installation and this report. The intent of this review is to offer as complete a review as possible while answering any questions the forum might have.

Before I continue, let me say a few words of thanks to Frank Beck, president of www.rocksandracingllc.com. He is an outstanding purveyor of Pedders products in the United States. Some of you have met Frank on this forum and he's earned my friendship as a straight shooting vendor and all around great guy. I was even given the opportunity to talk with the president of all Pedders U.S. operations, and it’s clear he was interested in my feedback for all the right reasons; namely improving the product line. Hopefully (with Frank's help) I will one day be able to offer a review of the complete package of Pedders suspension gear for our GMT900s!

A word of what I know about Pedders:
Pedders is an Australian suspension company that's been around since 1952. They are well known in that country for quality suspension products. Only recently have they begun to make inroads in the U.S. however. They are especially well known for their Pontiac GTO suspension products since the new GTO was originally an Australian vehicle.

I'll begin with quality of manufacture:
The Pedders Sport front and rear lowering coils (product #'s 2424 and #2425 respectively), and GSR Big Bore rear shocks (product# 9187) looked great right out of the box. The coil ends are cleanly cut with no sharp edges or unusual deformities. The wind is progressive as the coils are wound closer together past the midpoint of the springs. The overall length of the coils were only about an inch and a half shorter than stock, although the on-vehicle drop was greater. The powder coating was a sporty red color on all the parts and the finish appears to be very durable.
The body of the rear shocks was slightly larger in diameter than the already beefy stock z71 shocks. From pictures I've seen, they are much beefier than non-z71 shocks.

Installation notes:
The rear coils and shocks went on very easily with no issues and within the first hour. I cut the stock rear bump stops approximately one inch (to the first "rib"). This operation was extremely straightforward.
The front coils were definitely more difficult and involved, but still pretty straight forward. I’m convinced even a shade tree mechanic with a jack, jack stands, spring compressors, and a nice long ratchet extension can do this job. Heck, we didn’t even take off the front wheels. That’s not to say that the fronts were total cakewalk however. The hardest part of the operation is compressing the springs in order to install them on the stock strut. All I can say is to use some quality spring compressors to save time and heartache. After all, these are HEAVY springs. I cut the front bump stops about ¾ inch (once again, to the first “rib”). Overall, installation can be completed by a couple of determined guys (or girls) willing to get a little dirty.
Recognize that I was quoted a range of $350-$750 for install and alignment. As a DIY installation, I paid only $130 for a realignment the next day. By the way, realignment is definitely not optional as the technician stated that it was way off. The truck also had a tendency to wander on the highway immediately following installation. Fortunately I left the alignment shop fully within factory specs and without the need for a camber kit. The realignment also corrected the wandering feel.

The Drop:
The amount lowered on this installation seems to be about 3 inches. This is a nice sporty looking drop that people definitely notice, yet it still looks classy. This is not the drop for you if want that ultra slammed look. Trust me though; people will still stare in admiration. Wheel gap looks slightly less than a stock GMT800 and a lot less compared to a stock GMT900.
I have 22 inch rims and experienced slight rubbing at full lock before the Pedders install. At present, rubbing is more pronounced, but only at near lock (basically only at parking lot speeds and not at all during normal driving). I have not yet bothered to clearance anything yet because the rubbing is not very severe. I could see why the Pedders would be a great option for those who have 23, 24, or 26 inch rims but still want to lower their rides. Any lower than this drop could present major rubbing issues.

Before:
LenasCamera090.jpg

LenasCamera089.jpg

After:
DSC03096.jpg

DSC03100.jpg

DSC03097.jpg

The Ride:
This is the aspect of the Pedders gear I’m most happy about. Sure the truck looks better lowered, but it’s the improved ride that is the most impressive. I’ve lowered nearly every vehicle I’ve ever owned, but this is the first time it came without some sort of compromise, such as: rough handling, vague steering, non-correctable alignment, uncontrolled jounce, suspension oscillation, bottoming out, vibrations, squeaks, rattles, or bone-jarring stiffness.
On freeway on-ramps, corners, and sweeping turns, the Suburban now begs to accelerate harder and tighter all the way through the apex. None of the body wallowing frequently exhibited in stock suspensions is evident. The vehicle more quickly sets into a corner in a much flatter, stable, and predictable manner than stock.
The truck also behaves commendably over potholes and broken and uneven roadways. As I read my driving impression notes, a word I found myself using a lot was “eat’- as in: the Burb seems to eat road irregularities without getting flustered. Passengers were aware they traversed something, but feel more of a dull thud rather than the sharp jolt I’ve come to expect in other lowered vehicles. Even speed bumps are handled well.
General ride comparisons to stock show the Pedders equipped Suburban to be superior in every aspect of enthusiastic and normal day-to-day-driving. The ride, while definitely more taut and controlled, is also more comfortable over every road surface I’ve encountered. For those of you worried that the ride will be too tight, please realize that my Wife is the primary driver during the weekdays and she is also thrilled with how civil it feels.

In closing, Frank Beck had told me I was going to love this equipment and the ride it provides. I trusted him at his word, yet I’m still blown away at how nice it all feels. While I certainly enjoy the lowered looks of my Suburban, I would definitely recommend Pedders to those simply looking to enhance their driving pleasure or to give improve their SUV‘s on-road capabilities.

Supplementary notes:
Please remember that this was review of both the Pedders Sport Lowering Coils and Pedders GSR Big Bore rear shocks on my 2007 z71 Suburban. Note that the z71 already has a more taut suspension feel than normal 2wd or 4wds, therefore, ride changes should be even more pronounced on those non z71 Escalades, Avalanches, Tahoes, Yukons, or Suburbans.
Recognize as well that it is impossible for me to know what the ride would have felt like with just the coils or just the rear shocks. As the coils and shocks were installed simultaneously, my ride impression notes cannot independently evaluate either. In a perfect world I would have evaluate each on their own merits, but limited shop time and resources would not allow.

What do I still want to do to my suspension?:
Turn-in responsiveness (while slightly improved with these parts) is still not where I’d like it to be. In other words, there is too much lag from when the wheels turn to when the truck actually begins to move in the selected direction. Frank tells me that a cure exist in the Pedders sway bar bushes which help to “wake up” the stock sway bar without the expense of a new heavier bar. I am looking forward to installing these bushes at a later date and reporting to the forum once again.
Also available for our GMT900s is a Pedders Sport Strut that is also intriguing option for the front and should match well as a complete set.

The final word:
The Pedders Sport Lowering Coils GSR Big Bore rear shocks are quality items that work as advertised. What I can promise is an improved ride and a great looking drop. I recommend these parts to the forum and I’m confident no one will be disappointed!

Thanks again Frank Beck!

***EDIT***
I want everyone here to know that I am in know way affiliated with Pedders and have no personal vested interest in what products people on this forum buy. The fact is I am just a long time motor vehicle enthusiast who is simply very impressed with the Pedders gear. On top of that, Frank has been fantastic. I encourage folks to make their own decisions on what aftermarket itemd to purchase, but please make an informed decision!

-Ken

Last edited:

the pedders man

Reaction score
Ken The suburban LOOKS GREAT The Next round will be Bushings and End links Than New Front struts....Great Write Up As I said on the Phone the First time that we Talked The Product is Great and It does want you want it to do............Thanks Frank

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am extremely pleased with the pedders on my Autolevel Z51. Not quite as low, but still a great ride and look. Your wheels look great. Those are about the only ones we have been considering, and now seeing them on black, which we have, really helps a lot. Have to have the wife take a look!

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment Mike.

I love these wheels too, even more since the drop. The fact that not many are running these wheels is also a bonus. The rubbing with this combo is not too severe, although I could see that one might run into issues if they went much lower. The Pedders drop gives you a great look while retaining a surprising amount of utility. As you know, these springs actually increase on-road functionality, however.

the pedders man

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment Mike.

I love these wheels too, even more since the drop. The fact that not many are running these wheels is also a bonus. The rubbing with this combo is not too severe, although I could see that one might run into issues if they went much lower. The Pedders drop gives you a great look while retaining a surprising amount of utility. As you know, these springs actually increase on-road functionality, however.

Ken Your Next round of parts will be on the way SOON....Frank:thumbsup:

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frank,

Can't wait for the next round. If even the improvment is only half of what I've experienced so far, it will be significant. Honestly, it already feels near perfection, so I'm damn curious. Once I have the full package, I'll be confident in saying I have the best handling GMT900 Suburban in the United States, bar none. Even the Feds will be jealous!

If you get some time Frank, please post here how this package is used by various law enforment agencies. I think you mentioned it to me once on the phone, but I think the forum would be very interested.

Thanks again Frank!

Aaron72:
Offset is 30mm, running 305/45-22s. Thanks.

o2bwln

Reaction score
Just curious and please dont take this as an insult, but why would you lower a Z71 equipped suburban? Isn't the Z71 package an off-road package so lowering the clearance is defeating the purpose of the package.

Again, no flame or insult intended, i'm just curious.

Thanks,
O2bwln

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No insult taken friend.

Pehaps I did lose some clearance, but when looked at as a whole, the z71 is really more about the suggestion of off-road ability rather than actual off-road capability. Really what the z71 gives you is an appearance package that features various brushed stainless steel accents (dash, mirrors, door handles, etc), plus a two-tone leather option, and an agressively styled front lower facia featuring two-tone paint. None of the appearance items I've just mentioned are available on the regular 4x4. Besides a questionably useful skid plate package, front tow hooks, and slightly stiffer suspension (which also improves on-road handling BTW), the stock z71 does not offer increased ground clearance or the ultra aggressive tires typically associated with off-road machines.

Ultimately it was the appearance items only available with the z71 that sold me, especially the interior. Plus, I still enjoy the option of the 4-wheel drive for slippery surfaces such as ice, snow, moderate mud, and rain (such as when I take the family to Tahoe for skiing). The Pedders drop is low, but as I've mentioned, its not slammed and the Suburban has retained most of its utility while significantly improving the ride for 99% of my family's on-road daily driving.

Different can be good Bro. In this case, the difference is awsome.

JusticePete

Reaction score
I just found this thread. I may be biased, but that is a great looking GMT900 SUV! :thumbsup:

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, why would you be biased?

Anyways, thanks for the compliment. Not too much talk around here about Pedders anymore, but I'm still quite satisfied that I have one of the best handling, if not best looking Suburbans around.

JusticePete

Reaction score
Hmm, why would you be biased?

Anyways, thanks for the compliment. Not too much talk around here about Pedders anymore, but I'm still quite satisfied that I have one of the best handling, if not best looking Suburbans around.
My bias is I own the company. We are in the process of becoming sponsors. I would have to agree. Have you seen this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBwIZEF9L8