Running Boards Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so recently a friend of mine took his running boards off his dodge 1500 and it looks 10x better and little higher. i was just wondering on my 02 hoe if i took the running boards off if itd look better and how hard they would be to remove. i havent really looked at them yet and wondering if any1 has them removed on theirs and if they could supply pictures.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the runners- It's EASY.

I just took mine off my 04 today. It looks good without them, but I but on a set of SmittyBilt Black Nerf Bars in its place.
http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/1.htm
They're nice, and they are a lot less expensive than the Westin set I was looking at.

When removing the runners, be prepared for some tight squeezes on the passenger side as there are hoses running down the length of the frame that get right in the way of removing bolts. The runners attach to brackets, which are in turn attached with Allen keyed screws to the frame. There are also 10mm nuts & bolts attaching it to the sheet metal along the entire length too. There's one big bolt on the front end of each runner that's gotta some out, and you're free.

I just removed the big bolt, then Allen keyed screws, and then the 10mm bolts on the drivers side. That one came right off. The passenger side I did the same, but the last two brackets by the back I had to undo from the running board, so I could push them in and wiggle them out from behind the hoses separately.

It took me about an hour or so to get them both off, and 30 minutes to put the new ones on.

Again, it looked sweet without them too. It gives the appearance of being lifted a bit more.

I wish I had taken pics now (before, during & after), but I was pressed for time. I hope I never decide to put them back on. What a friggin pain that will be.:cryin:

Hope this helps!

BH

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My running boards were removed when I bought my Yukon used. I think it looks pretty good.

original.aspx

original.aspx

It's a 2WD too!

Aaron

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea im not going into the whole low rider thing and am wanting 37" iroks later so. but how long did take to remove them? and also along the door there wasnt any uncovered paint was there. itd look as clean as nappers yukon right?

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The area under mine was dirty, but was painted. It took me about an hour or so to get them off of there. Read my post a little further up for what all went into it.

And yes, it looks sweet without them. If I had not already bought the nerf bars I might have left it like that. But I like the steps. I'm 5'9", so it's a little hop to get my butt over the seat edge! And one day I plan to level the front, making it a little higher to get into. It'll be nice for the kiddo one day too.

BH

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i read that it seems pretty easy and a buddy of mine has a lift too so itd be even easier. but yea im 6'4 and a lift is what i really want for it about 6" suspension and 3" body seems good on 36s or 37s. haha id be happy if i get your tahoe for a first car. im 16 and i bought my tahoe about a month ago and im pretty happy, ive already put in alpine type R 6.5" in all the doors and a jensen flip out and i have my 12" subs coming soon.

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the color on your GMC. Your truck looks clean, and tidy without the runners too.

BH

Thanks, we love the color, not real common. The wife wants those same smitybilt, but gonna wait. Need a new grille as a phesant went through ours and broke a lot of slats and pretty much shattered the plastic. Used Goop to keep it stable until we get a new one. They aint cheap.

I like the look. It's great for the chain controls in our area in the Siskiyou Mountains, most of the road guys think it's 4WD and let me go. LOL. I do know my limitations, so I don't go out unless I know it will make it.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check LMC truck for the grille replacement. They have em. You can even have them send a catalog for free. Also, got my SmittyBilt at the actual 4WheelParts store in Coppell, Texas for $159 plus tax. I could get into sooooo much trouble in that place.

Phat LC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude, it was a pain removing them, especially the last ones in the rear, you had to disconnect the Rear A/C cable to get it loose, but it was well worth it...

I feel all of you on the matter, I think they make the truck look fat lol....

But everyone has personal preferences...

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My running boards were removed when I bought my Yukon used. I think it looks pretty good.

I was all set to not like the Tahoe/Yukon without the running boards. I like 'em. But, man does that look sweet! And I like that color, too.