Scammed please help this idiot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

antx227

Reaction score
-- I posted in the wrong section sorry I don't know how to delete this --
That idiot is me... I found a 1999 Chevy Tahoe LS for sale for $1700 online with only 67k miles. The truck is really clean inside and out. He tells me the car belonged to his grandfather and now it is his, but the car is just too big for him since he drives a small hybrid. He told me the car ran perfectly, but just one day the car just wouldn't start. Me being naive thought it was probably just a dead battery or the alternator needed to be replaced and took his word that nothing was wrong with it. I didn't want to try myself because he told me if I can get it started he wouldn't even want to sell it for so cheap (I am a complete idiot). We take care of the paperwork and I pay him cash. He doesn't even ask for my information to complete the top section of the pink slip and leaves.

I take my jumpers out and start it up and it makes a really loud knocking noise coming from the motor. I call the guy and he tells me all sales are final and thats it no response. He doesn't pick up so I look up the guys info online and call him on a different number. The real owner picks up and tells me he sold the car for $300 a few days ago. I tow the car to the mechanic to find out the rod is what is knocking. I know I'm an idiot and trust me I feel like a huge one. In California sellers have to smog the car before selling, but I don't want to go after a guy that had nothing to do with me being scammed. Mechanic told me my best bet is to junk the car as it will cost 3-4k to buy a motor and with that money I can buy another whole car online. Any suggestions? I'm such an idiot...

Last edited: