Should I buy a new truck?? Rust pics...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enem178

Reaction score
Ok...I really love my truck and love not having a car payment BUT I don't want to put a crazy amount of $$$ into it if its not worth it and if it will become a money pit. Here's some background on my truck...Its a 97 Tahoe 4x4 4dr with 115000 on the clock. The exterior is in decent condition and it runs great!

Recent mods fixes..

Complete rear brake overhaul
Rancho adjustable shocks
SS Flowmaster cat back exhaust
Fuel pump
Trans fluid change and deep aluminum pan
Rear end fluid change and aluminum rear end cover

Things it needs...

New windshield
New brake and fuel lines
A/C isn't working and the biggest problem that has me contemplating moving on is the undercarriage rust. Take a look at the pics and give me your honest opinion on this rust issue..

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Undrecarriage rust you had pictured dont bother me at all, but some of those lines need replaced for shure...... If you are worried about the undercarriage rust you could get the frame sandblasted and painted ($), but Looks like you got plenty of steel just surface rust.

07burb

Reaction score
To be honest that's not bad at all! Coat that frame with some POR15 (or something similar) and you'll be good :waytogo: and ditto on replacing a few of those lines that we see there. They do look pretty corroded. Nothing to get rid of a truck over, though.

amtronic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get under there and spray down the frame with leftover engine oil. Out of all those pictures, the only thing that concerns me is the E-brake coupler, that looks like it needs replacing. BTW 115k is halfway to what you should expect.

Krolik

Reaction score
Nice truck!

If you want to make it a slow project to clean up your undercarriage; a wire brush on a drill, some POR 15, and do small sections at a time. I've started doing it to my truck and have made some pretty decent progress doing 2ft at a time.

I do POR 15, than spray rubberized undercoating over that. Overkill maybe, but it's piece of mind in the rust belt.

Enem178

Reaction score
Thx for all the input. I'll take everyone's advice and start cleaning the frame after I replace those lines. Again I appreciate the help!

amtronic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW mileage has never been a factor in me selling a car. Maintain it well, when it starts having chronic problems dump it. Not worth the time and aggravation. I cannot tolerate an unreliable vehicle!

Enem178

Reaction score
I hear that amtronic! I once bought a lexus with over 200,000 on the clock and its still riding today!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
288k on the Sierra right now..... Miles dont mean anything if well taken care of...... One of the guys on S10 forum had 1.3million miles on his 4cyl s10 before he had the engine let go, but he drove it cross country... so miles not so big of a factor.