Slow throttle response?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like when I hit the gas, there is almost a full second before the truck responds. I have about 300 miles on the motor, so its not broken in, but I bought an '02 brand new and it didn't have this problem. Anybody else have this happen to them?

binmack

Reaction score
I can feel the same thing but it feels to me like its the electonic throttle setup.

The first first part of the travel on the pedal does little but if you press past that part the engine responds well.

I don't think the engine itself has any power issues with moving the truck and it feels stronger than my previous generation Yukon.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
binmack said:
I can feel the same thing but it feels to me like its the electonic throttle setup.

The first first part of the travel on the pedal does little but if you press past that part the engine responds well.

I don't think the engine itself has any power issues with moving the truck and it feels stronger than my previous generation Yukon.
I think you are right as it seems to be the way the throttle is set up.

Gapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't something I can't live with. I'm just used to my car throwing me back as soon as I hit it. :rolleyes: :p

basecorvette

Reaction score
I've never had any problem with my Yukon being sluggish. If I mash the gas, it will kick me back in the seat.
I agree it doesn't take off like my vette, but not much does.

4.8t

Reaction score
its in the tune. its designed to open the throttle body slowly to help keep from breaking traction during take off. if you get something like hptuners you can adjust that to where it reacts alot faster. there is a table in the software that shows throttle percent and and a few other things to determin how fast to open the throttle body. usually the more throttle you give it the faster it will open. to a point. if you change this and some of the timming tables and a few other things you will notice a total difference in the thing.

LTZJoe

Reaction score
Could it be the grade of gasoline you're using? I use mid-grade only.

Gapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Fuel with a higher octane rating burns better and reduces carbon deposits more than lower octane fuel. In addition, you will actually see a better MPG (given the diff isn't huge) and better engine performance. Higher octane also reduces pinging often associated with newer engine/crappy gas combos.