Sluggish Steering???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gettreal

Reaction score
Its a pain for me to go to my dealer so before I do I was wondering of I could get some feedback from you guys. I noticed this weekend when I was backing up into a space and I had to turn the wheel ALL the way to one side that once I started to move with the wheel at its full turn it felt like something was rubbing and was sluggish feeling. Next time someone goes out in thier truck could they please check to see if they have this feeling at all? You need to hold the wheel for a maximum radius turn then just try to move. Thanks in advance

doo600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle and it was in 4 wheel drive at the time this is normal. Take it out of 4 wheel drive and it'll work fine.

Gettreal

Reaction score
that totally makes sense, we had a lot of snow and ice so I put on 4wd going into the weekend. Thanks so much... by the way....why does it do that in 4wd?

doo600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gettreal said:
that totally makes sense, we had a lot of snow and ice so I put on 4wd going into the weekend. Thanks so much... by the way....why does it do that in 4wd?

When you engage the four wheel drive you engage the front differential. The differential turns both front wheels at the same speed. When you turn, the outside needs to turn faster than the inside but this cannot happen with this type of 4 wheel drive system thus making it almost skip along during sharp turns. Full time 4 wheel drive vehicles incorporate a center differential to alleviate this problem. Doesn't make much sense on part time 4wd though. You'll feel the exact same thing going forward into a parking space or any sharp turn when engaged. Just a good practice to shut the 4wd off when making these maneuvers.