Sound System Upgrade - Advice, Help, Strategy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chwnn255

Reaction score
:cool2: Gentlemen... Absolutely a terrific site! I have been all over it for the past few days and it's one of the best I've been on. Kudos...

Question: Need some product and install advice/help on a 2003 Yukon XL SLT I am replacing ALL "Blows" (love that!) OE with aftermarket toys. Here's the toys I have so far... all are ready to go for install.

1. Kenwood DNX 7100
2. Directed Audio D2205 AMP - 5 channel ESP Hybrid 2200 watts Max
3. Polk Audio MOMO C400.4 AMP - 975 watta MAX
4. Polk Audio SR6500 Front ...AND Rear!
5. PAC SWI-JACK Steering wheel controls (top retain existing wheel functions)
6. 170 deg Rear Backup Lincense Plate camera with IR
7. Sirius SC-C1 - Sirius satellite programmable tuner & antenna
8. Kenwood KCA-SR50 - Kenwood Sirius adaptor
9. Kenwood KCA BT100 - Kenwood Bluetooth adaptor
10. Kenwood KCA iP200 - Kenwood AUX adapter plug/cable
11. Viper XV 160 Remote start
12. GM DD kit for mounting/installtion of aftermarket HU's
13. Metra VT-GMOS-04 GM Class II Data bus Interface - Retains factory chimes, functionality, etc when replacing HU.
14. 50 Sq Ft of Dynamat FatMat Auto sound deadener for doors and..????
15. Sub ... this is still an open item and leads me to my first question...well

...several questions:

1. What the he** do I do for a subwoofer and still retain a factory look and storage space? I've looked at JL Audio's Stealthbox ($699 + install ...ouch!), MTX Audio's Thunderform (MTX isn't up to snuff music-wise...or are they?... with my other equipment so $299 + new sub speaker + install... ouch again!), and SuperCrew's under the rear seat box won't work 'cause I've got Captains seats in the 2nd row. HELP! Would LLooovvvve to figure out how to utilize the driver's side rear storage back panel which means I'm leaning the MTX route ...any suggestions? Would be happy with 8" or 10" sub... however a Polk Audio SR124-DVC 12" would be ideal! (it's Top Mount Depth is 19.30 cm or about 7 9/16")
2. I bought two Amps to see which one would sound the best... the one from Polk will probably win out, but the Directed Audio Amp is a bad boy when it comes to programmability, controls, flexibility... basically geek-factor stuff. What is your opinion(s)?
3. Do I need a 2nd battery and all the relays, capacitors, fuse boxes, etc. if I only run this setup while driving 99% of the time?? Or just an uprgraded alternator or is that even overkill? I'm a Regional Manager and travel 18 states so I spend a huge amount of time in my ride each week.
4. Am I missing anything? I'm trying to go for a first class setup without being stupid with my hard earned cash ...like buying all McIntosh equpiment ($11,000.00 for what I have) and Morel speakers ($2995 for a pair). Or silly looking 'cause I take clients out all the time.

I know this was long, but I am ready to get these toys installed next week and the guys I'm gonna have do it aren't cheap and need EVERYTHING all at once... which makes sense. So anyone's experience/help/advice would be appreciated.

Chwnn255 says... thank you! [/COLOR]

zeokter

Reaction score
What is the best stealth location with the most BANG!!!! (under seats, Driver cargo

Your on the right path. I've hit all the road blocks you've just described (money wise). I can get a sick RE se 10' and a hifonfics class D amp for around $300. MTX wants $350 for the tahoe encloser with no amp, thats crazy.
I've talked to a few installers who have said the've installed 2 10's (demensions questionable?) in the driver rear cargo location. Tonight I found a member says, he has 2 tens in that same location. I asked for pics. we'll see. It seems like its not that common and I've done plenty of research and still have no actual pictures of an install like this...

So i guess now i know its possible. The question I have now is, is it a optimal? The location might be to small for a large woofer set up i think? (im not a pro). Should I go with another stealth woofer location option? Like the center console or under the second row seats?

What is the best stealth location with the most potential BANG!!!! (under seats, Driver cargo area, Center console)??

Lets put our heads together on this one!:confused:

I'm sure their is a right way to do this upgrade. I calling for a sticky on this one!!!

Last edited:

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A JL Audio W7 8" sub would be sick, a friend of mine has one in his 07 eclipse, sounds sick, hittin a 140.00 DB, i've got 2 12" JL W6's with the JL 1000x1 and it pounds...i think im going deaf haha...but JL audio is always an excellent choice...they're a little pricey but they always say "you get what you pay for" and remember when buying an amp, that your paying $1.00 per amp...so if your amp is $300.00 your amp is probably pushing 300 watts, even if it says it's pushing 1200 watts...so be careful..

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a Kicker ZX 1000.1 which is 1000W rms @ 2ohm for $300.00. I've heard this, and it will make you feel like you have nothing inside your ribcage.

For subs? Better call these guys up:
http://www.audiopulse.com/products/subwoofer-drivers/

They make competition subs, and back when they were known as TC Sounds, I ordered from them and their customer service was great. Unfortunatly I never used it because I thought I would be switching cars at the time. But I'll order from them again when the time comes. :(

Chevyboy10

Reaction score
i have 3 12's W1 and it hits hard than any W7 anyday but for factory look def. with a 8" W7 with as small as a 500/1 not even needing a 1000/1 trust me i have a local JL Speicalist and thats all you need!