Space efficient sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itcantbestephen

Reaction score
Alright, so I want to put a system in my '93 2dr Yukon, nothing out of this world, just like a single 10' or a 12' with like a 500w-1000w amp powering it (probably somewhere in the middle). My dilemma is I don't want it to eat up a bunch of space in the rear cargo area (2dr owners know there's really not much room back there to begin with).

I was looking around online and stumbled across this product:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10104_Sony+XS-LB12S.html

Has anyone ever used this product or known anyone who has? What would be some good relatively space efficient alternatives to this? I was thinking about possibly mounting that to the back of the rear seat, or possibly on the side across from the spare tire.

I'm on a pretty tight budget too, so the more bang for the buck, the better.

Also, any good recommendations on amps?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edit:
Also, I forgot to ask, anyone had any luck with Bazooka Tubes? I've heard varying opinions on those, some people say they're crap, and other people say they love them.

thekl0wn

Reaction score
I'm not a Sony nor Bazooka fan... In my book, they're both junk.

Do you have any fabrication skills of your own to build the enclosure?

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed an MTX xt100p thunderlink in mine. 10" preamped sub. It sounds GREAT! Enough bass to shake you a bit, but not enough to annoy the guy in front of you. Great addition to a "pretty much" stock system. It retails for about $250, but I was lucky to find an open box buy at C City for $135. Worth every penny.

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a bazooka fan at all.

I would recommend going with a simple custom (home made) box. Are you planning on keeping the spare tire in your truck? I too have a 93 Yukon and ended up putting in on top. If your going to keep the tire inside you can create a pretty simple board to mount the amp to behind the tire.
I would also recommend having a place to temporarily mount your box yet have enough speaker wire to move it anywhere you want.

If you're worried about size get a single 10", should be enough to hear it but not enough to kill your ears & space. I would also suggest around 300 watts RMS.

itcantbestephen

Reaction score
So something like this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8573_Kenwood+KFC-W2511.html

Matched up to something like this?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9581_Power+Acoustik+Reactor+REACT1-1100.html

I think I could probably get by with making my own box. I'm no master craftsmen... but my grandfather is, haha, and he also has pretty much all the tools I'd need to make it too.

And yeah, I'm planning on keeping the spare in the back. I'd like to have a grill or something over the sub to protect it. I noticed while I was looking around a few of them had an option to add one on for like another 30 bucks or something. Is there any way that I could somehow make a grill or something like that to protect the sub? I'm worried about this because on occasion I haul around band equipment (drums, guitars, amps, stands etc.).

Sorry, I'm the definition of a car audio noob, haha. This will be my very first system :D .

TrailFiend

Reaction score
check this out...

this is what im going with:

http://www.qlogicenclosures.com/c-231-ql-c1syt110p.aspx

this is a well crafted box, that wont take up much space at all! i have a 99' 2dr and was looking at that sony enclosure too, and a bazooka tube, but all the people i talked to said that they arent that good. i didnt want to have to move a speaker every time i want to load the back up either. this qlogic box is small, so you will need a shallow mount 10" sub like this:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=SWS-1043D

and pair it with this:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=MRP-M500

and you will be money! this is my setup, just ordered it all last week. ill post pics and a review in about a week or so. :thumbsup:

itcantbestephen

Reaction score
Man that would be perfect if I just had barn doors :sad:

But I think I'm probably going to go with a shallow-mount sub with a small box and mount the amp in front of the spare tire and the sub up against the back seat.

TrailFiend

Reaction score
oops, i forgot about the tailgate! nevermind. that sub and amp combo is still very nice, and you can find them for half price on google shopping. just type in the part #'s and sort by price...i got the amp from hookedontronics.com for $152.50, and the sub from woofersetc.com for $79.99. good luck.

thekl0wn

Reaction score
My vote would be to build an enclosure similar to the one in THIS thread, and pair it with one of these two subs:
-12" Dayton HO
-12" Mach5 MAW

I'm just not a huge Kenwood fan either. The Alpine subs are fine if you have the space, and aren't worried about SQ, but for a space-efficient setup, do not use them... They like their space & power.

Power it with something like a Kicker, USAmps, Alpine, etc. in the 500 wrms range, and you're gonna cause disbelief that it's a single sub setup. Try to get into a class D amp, as it's going to be much more efficient for the substage, and require less power.

TrailFiend

Reaction score
that 12" DaytonHO is way to big for that box...i was reading that thread and it said the box is .8 to1.0 cubic ft., and that sub need 1.62 at the least. the 12"mach 5 would be better for that setup. but an alpine SHALLOW MOUNT would be even better http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GBOZWbgwQ21/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=500SWS1243 , it only needs .85 to 1.5 cu. ft. and would sound better than that 12"mach 5.

thekl0wn

Reaction score
I have quite a bit of experience with the HO's, and it would be right at home in .8-1.0 cubes sealed. They thrive on the smaller boxes. And very rarely is there a need for a shallow mount sub. The only two shallows I would dream of looking at would be the Tang Band (10") or the newer Kickers.

Sound is subjective... How can you say it sounds "better"? For SPL, yes the Alp's are a good sub, but need very large vented enclosures, and gobs of power. The Mach5 will put out some nice numbers, but is more in the SQ realm versus the Alp's.

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So something like this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8573_Kenwood+KFC-W2511.html

Matched up to something like this?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9581_Power+Acoustik+Reactor+REACT1-1100.html

I think I could probably get by with making my own box. I'm no master craftsmen... but my grandfather is, haha, and he also has pretty much all the tools I'd need to make it too.

And yeah, I'm planning on keeping the spare in the back. I'd like to have a grill or something over the sub to protect it. I noticed while I was looking around a few of them had an option to add one on for like another 30 bucks or something. Is there any way that I could somehow make a grill or something like that to protect the sub? I'm worried about this because on occasion I haul around band equipment (drums, guitars, amps, stands etc.).

Sorry, I'm the definition of a car audio noob, haha. This will be my very first system :D .

That amp would work, but I would suggest getting a 4 Ohm DVC (dual voice coil) sub so you can run it down to 2 Ohms. So the sub you are looking at would work, just get it in a 4 ohm dvc rather than a single 4 ohm.

As for you speaker grill, I would find one that covers as much of the sub as you can find then make something custom to mount it to your sub, In the past I have created an extra 2 rings from MDV then mounted a grill flush with those rings, just make sure you take into consideration the excusion of the sub.

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have quite a bit of experience with the HO's, and it would be right at home in .8-1.0 cubes sealed. They thrive on the smaller boxes. And very rarely is there a need for a shallow mount sub. The only two shallows I would dream of looking at would be the Tang Band (10") or the newer Kickers.

Sound is subjective... How can you say it sounds "better"? For SPL, yes the Alp's are a good sub, but need very large vented enclosures, and gobs of power. The Mach5 will put out some nice numbers, but is more in the SQ realm versus the Alp's.

I believe JL has a pretty cool shallow sub.

I am currently running one of these in my 2dr Yukon http://www.reaudio.com/specs.html#sp_xxx with two of these http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com/prodInfo.asp?IDProduct=107 powering it at 1 Ohm. :cool2:

itcantbestephen

Reaction score
My vote would be to build an enclosure similar to the one in THIS thread, and pair it with one of these two subs:
-12" Dayton HO
-12" Mach5 MAW

I'm just not a huge Kenwood fan either. The Alpine subs are fine if you have the space, and aren't worried about SQ, but for a space-efficient setup, do not use them... They like their space & power.

Power it with something like a Kicker, USAmps, Alpine, etc. in the 500 wrms range, and you're gonna cause disbelief that it's a single sub setup. Try to get into a class D amp, as it's going to be much more efficient for the substage, and require less power.

Wow, man that would be perfect. I'm not a big fan of cutting out a big piece of the inner sheet metal and cutting a big hole in my rear panel... but I think I might be able to convince myself to do it... haha.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went back and looked at caraudio.com (i think is where i saw it) and a dude made a sub enclosure that was the same shape as the spare tire. He then bolted it into the spare tire spot in the bed. it was clean etc, and when it was covered, it was totally invisible.
I cant find it again though.

Either way, if you want custom and perfect, make it yourself. It feels super good when its all done, and your like, "I made that." I say take it to the next level.

TrailFiend

Reaction score

why would alpine make a sub that is only 4.3 inches tall if it didnt sound good. its not like a normal shallow mount, were yalking an inch shorter than most subs in its class. if you think a HO will be at home in that space, you must be joking. you might as well put a jl 10w3v3 in there if youre thinking like that. no offense, but those 2 subs you mentioned are like a "my first sub" setup.:nonod: call any car audio place and tell them what speakers you are looking at, and the cubic feet of the box, and see what they say. out of the HO, mach5, and alpine...they will tell you that the alpine would sound "better" than the other 2 in the same box. the MORE AIR the BETTER for a sub.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why would alpine make a sub that is only 4.3 inches tall if it didnt sound good. its not like a normal shallow mount, were yalking an inch shorter than most subs in its class. if you think a HO will be at home in that space, you must be joking. you might as well put a jl 10w3v3 in there if youre thinking like that. no offense, but those 2 subs you mentioned are like a "my first sub" setup.:nonod: call any car audio place and tell them what speakers you are looking at, and the cubic feet of the box, and see what they say. out of the HO, mach5, and alpine...they will tell you that the alpine would sound "better" than the other 2 in the same box. the MORE AIR the BETTER for a sub.

not entirely true. Shallow mount subs are made just for that, shallow installations. Not all common drivers have applicable situations.

there are marine drivers, there are small effecient drivers, there are shallow mount drivers, and there are high power, huge subwoofers.
Manufactures have to build for several installation guidelines.
Shallows won't sounds as good as a regualr driver, as they are limited on Xmax, power handling due to sheer motor strength and size. But, we need them.
And a woofer has a certain 'need' in box requirements. Not entirely true when one needs more to be 'better' Some drivers work very well, at .80 to 1.0 sealed. 2.0 won't make them better, just more chance of damage.

thekl0wn

Reaction score

Why would they make it? Umm, heard the term marketing? They sell. Calling ANY car audio shop, umm, once again marketing. Neither of your so-called resources mean jack... I'm not saying Alpine makes a bad product, because they don't... But they're focused on being loud, whereas loud is NOT a goal of mine. I'm focused on blending with the existing stages and reproducing accurately, and have ZERO desire to flash a brand boner... Which leads my choices to where they are. Just because you spend more money, doesn't mean it's going to sound any better... Heck, put that money into your deadening fund for the MOST effect.

The HO or the M5 hands down outperform an Alp in the SQ realm... SPL, that's a different story. And I'm telling you that the HO is NOT going to perform as well in the larger box... You're either going to have to limit your power, and get less output, or blow the sub. If that's such a concern, then step down to the 10"... .66ft^3, tuned to 30-32hz crossed circa 50-60hz, optimal for rock/country... If rap's you're thing, then the Alp's gonna be your ticket, but rap (or any bass-heavy listening style) is gonna warrant a higher-tuned ported box to get the highest levels, and in-turn a larger box than a stealth application can really provide...

TrailFiend

Reaction score
i am going for sound quality also, and alpine is just that for my situation. i too have a "stealth" box. i do not listen to rap and want an overall good sound. i wanted to put a jl10w3v3 in the box, but even jl said that the alpine would provide more accurate response. thats all. its all opinions when it comes to sound quality. :yesnod: