Stabilitrak/TCS Hiccup???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then...

Pulled out of the parking lot of my job this evening, rolled down the access road for the highway, and just as I get my speed up, I hear a few chimes (actually thought I was low on fuel or something! :confused2: ). So I look down @ my DIC and it's reading "TRACTION CONTROL OFF - SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL...STABILITRAK OFF - SERVICE STABILITRAK". My TCS warning light also comes on, confirming the DIC readout... So I try to reactivate using the on/off button below the HVAC controls and nothing changes (damn near plowed into this tiny a$$ VW Beatle while messing w/ it! :eek2: That really would not have been pretty! :ack: )... The truck is running just fine @ this point (other than the warning light :crazy: ), so I decide to wait until I get home to investigate further... I pull up to my house and first thing I do is try the button again...again, nothing. So I shut the Hoe off, pull the key, lock it, wait for everything to cut off (headlights/tail lights, interior lights, etc...). I unlock it, put the key back in and start her up again, and WAH-LAH!!! No more warning light - no more messages! :D So I pull off to give her a quick test run. I drive her hard up the street and around the community, getting up to just over 40 mph (main roads, of course) w/ no reoccurrence. Everything is running nicely. :clapping: So, after pulling back in front of my house and pulling out the owner's manual, I find out that after initially starting the Hoe, the "TCS/Stabilitrak activates @ about 20 mph or 2 miles of driving". It further states, "If the system fails to turn on, the Stabilitrak light (along w/ the DIC messages noted above) will display". It advises to try and rock the steering wheel from left to right (9 to 3 o'clock position) and this should clear the messages if the TCS/Stab doesn't really need servicing. Goes on to state that "if this doesn't clear the messages, turn vehicle off, wait 15 seconds, turn it back on to reset system". -- which is what I did and it worked! :excited:

I was totally stressed when the warning light first came on w/ the DIC messages. Turns out, there was no need to worry, as long as the system reset worked.

This is the first time this has happened to me. Anyone else ever experience this w/ any of their vehicles? Is this normal/expected behavior for TCS/Stabilitrak?

Last edited:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same thing has to happen to me. But the ABS light also came on and some message "reduced power mode". Took it to the dealership and they said there was something worng with abs system. They fixed and no more problems.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How fast are you supposed to be going

when rocking "the steering wheel from left to right (9 to 3 o'clock position)"? :ack: :eek: :smilielol:

PS: Good use on smilies hof.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS: Good use on smilies hof.

Thanks, shark! I do try my best!!! :cool2:

Must say, I love the way you guys keep the atmosphere "loose" in this forum... :crazy:

But come on! NO ONE else has experienced this...the manual even put these precautions in just in case it didn't act right and I'm the ONLY one this has happened to??? :ack: :confused:

Last edited:

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did almost the same thing one time early in ownership. I hit the Onstar and asked for any diagnostic codes. None listed. Took it to the dealer and nothing was found. An insider on another forum indicated that it monitors so many perameters that sometimes mistakes can be made. He asked if I was on slick pavement or if i had run off onto the berm. I had not and it was dry.

It reset on it's own, right away, and has never happened again.:confused:

slvrbrchyukon

Reaction score
This happens to me quite often now when the engine and transmission is cold. Never happened before. The "TRACTION CONTROL OFF - SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL...STABILITRAK OFF - SERVICE STABILITRAK" but the ABS lights also turns on. This happens during the first start in the morning when the engine/transmission is cold. And then after 10mins of driving, I would shut the truck off and turn it back on and the message would go away. The morning start up would be the only time it happens, and it would not happen again during the day. Is this something that I should be worried about? Hope this does not affect anything while I'm driving. Thanks!

winchester21

Reaction score
Same exact thing is happening. Warning lights come on -go crazy- then disappear after truck sits for awhile then swtiched back on. Happened for the 2nd time today- in the rain this time. Stabilitrack light only this time- no Ck engine light this time. Happened 3 days ago for the first time, then nothing until today. Truck was bought new in May of 2009- 33 K miles. Any new info on this one? Lots of stuff on the net but mostly 2007 models. Tks in advance

nukstr

Reaction score
FINALLY FIXED, "SERVICE STABILITRAK & TRACTION CONTROL DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEM:
"SERVICE STABILITRAK",
"SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL",
"HARD SHIFT 1-2 GEARS"-(STABILITRAK TURNING OFF-CLUNK NOISE)
"STABILITRAK OFF",
"TRACTION CONTROL OFF"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUSE:
FUEL WAS 45% ETHANOL @ 85-(COSTCO GAS)-COMPUTER WENT INTO LIMP MODE CAUSING (AFM) TO GET STUCK AND NOT RESET COMPUTER.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOLUTION:
DRAINED & CLEANED GAS TANK-
CHANGED FUEL FILTERS (*ONLY IF NEEDED)
CLEANED INJECTORS-
RESET COMPUTER-
FILLED GAS TANK WITH NO ETHANOL- (http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp)
TOTAL AMOUNT WITH TAX: $444.86
REFERENCES
(STABILITRAK CLUNK NOISE): http://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...21/2010-silverado-stabilitrak-question-47580/
(AFM)-Definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management
(ETHANOL): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_ethanol_fuel_mixtures
(GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL): http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

brymar1

Reaction score
Service TCS & Stabilitrak Warning w/flashing Engine Light

Had the Traction Control / Stabilitrak indicator lights and flashing engine light appear out of the blue yesterday on 2007 Tahoe LT. Had my wife and two kids in the car on a busy highway and the engine started running very rough with reduced power. Limped home and tried several of the remedies in various threads i found on this issue including tightening air intake fittings and disconnected battery overnight. Reconnected this morning and the engine/drive train was running perfect again until the lights started again. Again, rough engine with rough shifting. Clearly there is nothing "materially" wrong with the engine or drive train. The computer is creating the issue. I have also had the same oil burn issue everyone is referencing and have been managing that on a weekly/daily basis to ensure no engine damage occurred due to low oil.

Thanks nukstr, haven't tested the fuel yet... What is the best way to test it? Going to get my error codes and will post those as well...

nukstr

Reaction score
How I did it- once I got service stabilitrac and service travtion control, then hard shift then it says stabilitrac off and traction control off. (Very important don't shut off engine drive to local Chevy Service Dept have them read the codes, and ask about ethanol %. They will tell you, then either have them drain gas tank, or drive out remaining gas tank and fill up tank with premium gas with no ethanol; here's website ( http://pure-gas.org) Go to chevy dealership have them reset your computer and don't fill up at ethanol gas stations and you should notice right away how better gas mileage and performance is. That should get you back running good. Nukstr