Strange Clicking Sound Left Front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HRWise

Reaction score
Greetings...long time reader, first time poster :)

Ok, hopefully this come out right.

We have a 2000 Tahoe. The left front wheel bearings went bad.

Had the left front hub replaced.

Since then, and this MIGHT not be related...we have the following issue:

When I first get into it in the morning and back out of my driveway...when I hit the brake while in reverse I hear a clicking/clanging sound coming from what I think is the left front, possibly near the wheel.

It also does this when you accelerate forward.

But NOT all the time???

I took it in to a "mechanic" and had the left front hub re-checked.

I removed the fan shroud top cover and see no signs of it hitting anywhere. I did this because that is what it sounds like.

Nothing.

Checked all shrouds I could get my hands on, all seem ok.

Took it to a dealer. It didn't want to make the sound of course. They "looked" at it and said catalytic converter. Well, those are on the other side??? If that were bad...wouldn't it always do that?

Besides, what is inside a converter that would make a sound like that?

I think they have no idea. I wanted the truck on a lift so they could engage the vehicle but that didn't happen.

Any ideas? It is frustrating to say the least, and having it go away and come back is what is really making it hard to troubleshoot.

Thanks for any and all advice

hoss81

Reaction score
I'm having a very similar clicking sound on the front of my 04. I just recently purchased the Truck and I haven't had a chance to take a good look at it yet. I noticed it when I test drove it, and assumed it was the upper or lower ball joint, so I requested as part of the sale, the parts department throw in a upper and lower balljoint.

After driving it around for a while though, I'm starting to think it is something else. I'm thinking possibly the sway bar endlinks might be bad, and the rubber bushings are no longer absorbing impact.

I've noticed it's when I turn, when I hit the brakes, or if I go over slight little "dips" at slow speeds in parking lots or turning around corners.

The catalytic converter is total crap, don't listen to them. I spent a few years as a ASE service tech at a GM dealership, GM catalytic converters rarely go bad anyway, but when they do, the catalyst element separates from the converter body and it'll be a rattling sound.

I just did replace the shocks as the truck has 123k on it and still had the factory AC Delco units, and that didn't help/worsen the problem any.

I'll let ya know if I figure out what it is, but with the cold Ohio winter coming, I may not get to it till spring.

mk_3

Reaction score
I think I know what click you are talking about on the front driver side. My '05 did it shortly after I bought it (new) and the dealer did a warranty repair to replace some broken washer in the front suspension or steering. The problem went away until about a year ago. My wife says it does it most mornings as she backs down the driveway turning the wheel hard. I confirmed and its the same click from 6 years ago. I looked all over and cannot find the original paperwork or anything on the internet about a Chevy service bulletin for this. Any GM mechanics have any experience to confirm this?

clkelley

Reaction score
Is it a clicking or a slapping? Can you feel it in the steering wheel? IT sounds an aweful lot like the intermitent steering shaft needs replaced. They are a common issue on GM trucks of any kind.

mk_3

Reaction score
The suspension washer one is a definite harder click or snap sound. My steering shaft also made noise in the beginning but its more of a loose clunk. That took three complaint visits to the dealer before the service bulletin came out with the replacement shaft.

rickriff

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and was just looking through some post and came across this one. I had the same problem with my 2004 Yukon that I purchased used. It made a popping/ clanking noise every time a turn was made at slow speeds. I got an Aldata subscription and found a service bulletin addressing the problem. You take the bolt on crossmember bar on the front off, clean the anti-corrosion coating off with a steel brush, and get 8 washers, GM part number 11509592 for it. I used some rustoleum paint on it where I cleaned the factory anti-corrosion coating off and then put 1 washer on each side on the bolts and torqued it to specs at 89 ft/lbs and have not heard the noise since. I hope that this helps.

blackhawk17

Reaction score
How in depth of a repair is that? Are there any special tools required? Thanks.