Tahoe 98 5,7 L fuel leak around lock ring pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raymix

Reaction score
Hi,

I have this strange problem. 3 days ago, i was driving my truck and everything was normal. Back at home, I let it sits for 3 days without starting it.
Ive noticed a gas smell and a little dripping under the truck.

The day after, no more drips. So I thought to myself, I maybe have a leak when the tank is max full.

This morning, i've cranked the motor but doesn't want to start at all.
Ive checked the relay (it makes a clicking sound when i turn ignition)
Then i made a hole in the floor to access the fuel pump (I know it's kinda radical but saves a lot of work and I can hide it anyway)

Ive checked the 2 hoses connected to the pump and no leaks.
In fact, when I jack the rear end of the truck, causing the fuel touching the top of the fuel pump and start to leak again.

When i turn ignition, no sound coming from the fuel pump.
I'm pretty it's dead but what happen ? Why is it the fuel pump dies and leaks at the same time ??

Here's a pic I took , you can see it's all wet of fuel.

Thanks for any input !

Ray.
pDo4hw.jpg

raymix

Reaction score
I checked if there was power at the pump connector.
One lead has continuous power while the other lead is temp powered by the relay , like 1 sec then it's off so the pump is plain dead.

I will have another problem because the lock ring is rusted to death and so the tabs from the tank. I will need to build some kinda ring to fasten the pump firmly down on the tank.

What do you guys recommend to use as a gasket maker ? Permatex ?

Ray.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hose it down real good with the garden hose, then hose it with WD40, Pump hoses should have a connector not a hose clamp on a 98.....

raymix

Reaction score
Hose clamps were already there, there are no connectors.

Anyways, problem solved now, new pump installed and everything's working fine :)

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suprised it holds pressure and doesnt leak......

raymix

Reaction score
No leaks, new pump works pretty fine. I'm testing road it for a week to see if I can cover up the whole thing without any worry and put the carpet back in place so I can be finally back to normal :)

Those clamps were added (according to what the previous owner said to me) because they changed a section of the metal fuel line. Maybe they were lazy and used clamps instead of connectors but it does the jobs, no leaks, no pressure lost so I use them too.

Original tabs for the lock ring were completly rusted and destroyed when i removed the old (and original fuel pump with 235000km on it).

Many said to me that I would have to change the fule tank as well. I thought it was ridicoulous since it's made of plastic with a metal shield under it and still good. I used a big bearing seal that fits right over the fuel pump and clamps it with screws , screwed right in the tank and some Permatex silicone under the supplied gasket.

It is so tight now, i wonder how the pump would even move and even leak.
I know it's kinda "redneck" or "McGuyver" kinda fix but it works and real cheap :)

5 days now , using my truck to go to work and no flaws.
Anyways, if it could help someone else experiencing the same problem as I did.

Ive learned this : When u suspect a fuel pump problem, check for the relay under the hood if it's all good.. if it is then check if there is power on all leads fuel pump connector. If yes and the pump doesn't make any noises or sound, it's prolly dead enough. If it makes sounds, check fuel pressure.

Don't forget to check any leaks on lines but i didn't had those, it was leaking around the lock ring because of rotten tabs on the tank.

Ray.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last one I had had plastic fuel lines.... but IDK....

GoldmistXL

Reaction score
Fuel Pump

I know this was a few years ago, but do you happen to have the photo showing where you made the hole in your floor to access the fuel pump? Because you’re right -it is a ton of work dropping the fuel tank to access it. If you don’t have a photo, can you describe exactly where to cut the hole and how big a hole?Thanks Ray!

Hi,

I have this strange problem. 3 days ago, i was driving my truck and everything was normal. Back at home, I let it sits for 3 days without starting it.
Ive noticed a gas smell and a little dripping under the truck.

The day after, no more drips. So I thought to myself, I maybe have a leak when the tank is max full.

This morning, i've cranked the motor but doesn't want to start at all.
Ive checked the relay (it makes a clicking sound when i turn ignition)
Then i made a hole in the floor to access the fuel pump (I know it's kinda radical but saves a lot of work and I can hide it anyway)

Ive checked the 2 hoses connected to the pump and no leaks.
In fact, when I jack the rear end of the truck, causing the fuel touching the top of the fuel pump and start to leak again.

When i turn ignition, no sound coming from the fuel pump.
I'm pretty it's dead but what happen ? Why is it the fuel pump dies and leaks at the same time ??

Here's a pic I took , you can see it's all wet of fuel.

Thanks for any input !

Ray.
pDo4hw.jpg