Tahoe BCM, Right Rear Door Ajar, questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NytmareK5

Reaction score
So I'm having some issues with a 2003 Tahoe I just bought. When I first got it I had several issues.

1-Radio would go static and lose sound, if you turned the headlights on and dimmer all the way down PRESTO CHANGO ALA KAZZAAM! It would come back on: My theory on this was the Radio actually grounds itself with the factory antenna. And the antenna adapters weren't allowing it to ground, and when you shut the dimmer off the radio would find ground through the illumination circuit... A little far fetched, but my theory was correct. Put it all back to stock and as soon as I removed the antenna adapters my radio worked flawlessly for a 28 hour round trip.

2- Right Rear Door Ajar Message when the door was closed. Did some checking and changing around, swapped out for a different door switch and the message still pops up and occasionally sets the alarm off or activates my dome light. So, I'm thinking it's time to swap the BCM. Now for the fun part,I'd like to keep my factory radio but avoid paying the dealer to program a BCM I pulled out of the junkyard that may go bad at anytime. I've found the BCM relearn, but is there anyway to bypass programming the radio? Short of removing the chip like I've seen on YouTube? Also has anyone used the "Hold number 5 and press the forward seek button" trick? And does this need to be done every time you start the truck?

Lastly, has anyone successfully repaired a flawed BCM? It seems to be fairly common so I'd imagine someone tore one down and messed with the board.

Sorry for the long first post but I hate posts that lack info.

Also if anyone else is having issues I found a simple way to leave the truck locked yet unarmed with the dome light off. Simply hit lock to arm it, hit unlock once (unlocking just the driver door) and manually lock the door with the actual slide lock. And turn the dome light override off. Whammo no random alarms at 2am and no dead battery.