Tahoe died, restarted, and died for good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwanejbrown

Reaction score
Recently purchased 1994 Full Size Tahoe 4DR from a friend. It had been sitting quite a while. Drove several times over several months without a problem. Last week driving home, lost power and died. I was able to restart and get home and hasn't started since. In my initial troubleshooting I checked fuel pump relay and one of the female slots looks "burnt". I apparently tried swapping around relays trying to get the A/C working (separate issue) and didn't realize the A/C Relay was only four prongs (the shows a burnt spot). Did I likely ruin the pump or the fuse block? Which should I replace first?

Last edited:

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Have you replaced the fuel filter? Do you have a multi meter? If so, with the key in the run position, go check the harness plugs at the fuel pump and see if you are getting 12 volts. If not you know that you have a relay that you burnt up. If you are getting 12 volts then the pump is bad and need replaced. Check that out and see if that takes care of, it not let us know and we'lll try to help you hunt down the problem...

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Also check ur starter lol. Had similar issue and had to drop my starter bc it was loose. If you dont hear the pump running when u turn the key to start (but dont start it) you should hear a humming from ur tank. If not i'd go with the easiest first. Check all fuses then head forward from there.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your current status? No Crank? No Start? No power at all? If your getting power and crank but no start, do as mentioned above and turn your key to the on position only, and listen for the fuel pump hum. If you cant hear it, then check the fuses, relays etc. You can also check your fuel pressure at the rail with a inexpensive fuel pressure tester that you can pick up for about $25 at Autozone etc. Test the fuel pressure with key on to see what the system is priming to, if at all. Also relays are not expensive at all so I would go ahead and replace the ones you say that show they are burned. Lets not jump the gun and go right for the fuel pump as the culprit just yet. It can get expensive because you usually replace the sending unit at the same time.

EDIT: Can you also explain how the vehicle died? Did it just cut off or did it stumble, lights dim, then nothing? The reason I ask is because this also may be Electrical related too. Usually if a relay goes or a fuse blows, you wouldnt be able to restart the vehicle until the fuse or relay has been replaced.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has a 94, TBI isnt just plug a guage in.....

If it is a fuel pump, IIRC it is a EP386 which is a Delco part and $40 off Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-EP386...994&vehicleType=automotive&newCar=1&carId=007

You dont need a whole fuel assembly......

Rockauto.com is also another good resource.....

Learning is good. Didnt know they had Throttle Body Injection on that year. So how could the OP test the fuel pressure to see if the pump is weak? Also I suggested the Sending unit may need replacement because on a vehicle that old, those lines can be crusty rusty and usually dont play nice when trying to be removed. :superhack:

Hopefully this can be fixed on the cheap and without having to drop the tank.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBI was used for up to (and including my 1995) model year.

TBI testing involves disconnecting the fuel filter and basically screwing a guage into the engine side of the filter and dead heading the pump. On TBI 12lbs of pressure is good, as a side note, my 1995 model year uses a higher capacity pump (perhaps a crossover year for the CSFI engines)? I would not deadhead that pump for long.