TBI cam/stall/tuning questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akwarfield

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 95’ Tahoe. Engine and trans. were replaced back in 2016 with a GM crate long block (12568758) and an OEM 4L60E.
I have already installed a new TBI Unit (Fully Rebuilt with New Injectors/TPS/IAC, Bored 46mm/650cfm, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator (Injector Pod must be removed to adjust) with 18psi spring, Pressure is set at 18psi. max is 20psi., 46mm matching Square-Bore Carb Style Intake Adapter, Air Flow Enhancer Ring, K&N Filter with Top). And a full exhaust system (3in. tubing, RPC Mid-Length Ceramic Coated Headers, Flowmaster Y-Pipe, Flowmaster 200 High-Flow Cat, Borla ProXS Muffler, New AC Delco 3-wire O2 Sensor).
I am going to install a set of Trick Flow Aluminum Super 23, 175cc Intake /67cc Exhaust, 56cc Combustion Chamber with GM Composite Head Gasket: Part Number: NAL-10105117, Thickness: .028 (Compression ratio needs to be checked properly: Goal is a 10:1 ratio).
Also, for the intake, Edelbrock EPS, Square-Bore Carburetor Style (I have the adapter for the TBI unit).
I am also going to install new AC Delco higher flowing fuel pump, spark plugs, wires, coil etc.
My main questions are concerning camshaft selection, torque converter stall speed selection and tuning.
Camshaft: So the block is roller ready, my choices are either
1. COMP Computer Controlled Hydraulic Roller Kit, Part Number: K08-304-8, Advertised Duration: 266Int./276Exh. – Actual Duration: 210Int./220Exh. Lobe Separation Angle: 114, Valve Lift: 0.500Int./0.510Exh., RPM: 1400-5400 WITH 1.5 ROLLER ROCKERS
Or
2. COMP Computer Controlled Hydraulic Roller Kit, Part Number: K08-300-8, Advertised Duration: 262Int./264Exh. – Actual Duration: 206Int./210Exh. Lobe Separation Angle: 112, Valve Lift: 0.450Int./0.480Exh., RPM: 1000-5000 WITH 1.5 or 1.6 ROLLER ROCKERS??

Now considering the cylinder heads and bored out TBI, which cam would be better for a daily driving/widest power band? Keeping in mind I’m willing to do extensive tuning and install a higher stall converter.
Torque Converter Stall Speed: Considering the camshaft specs and the rest of the engine specs would an FTI Torque Converter: 9.5in., Lock-Up, 2800-3000RPM be a good choice?
Has stock Rear Gears: 3.73 (Posi-Trac) and the Tires are 265/75R16, 31.6 Diameter, BFGoodrich Advantage T/A

TUNING: What advice can you guys provide? I was considering purchasing the Moates APU1 auto prom package/usb version. What would need to be done is the following: Datalogging, Chip Burn, Adjust Fuel Pressure, Tuned Fuel Maps, Set Timing, Set Transmission Shift Points, EGR Delete, Speedometer Calibration, Speed Limiter Delete. Anything else you can think of? Would the Moates APU1 auto prom package be the best bet on the market?

Thank you in advance for any and all help/advice :)