Throttle Body Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avdoc

Reaction score
I would say if it were a ram air system where you have more of a direct correlation between speed, and intake air pressure, it would. I dont know off hand how much speed it would take to force air in fast enough to make the difference you were talking about, but there might be a point in there where that would be correct.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But you dont always want power at just highway speed. At slow speeds you need it too. :cool2:

I would think at slow speeds it would still pass through too fast to pick up much heat but I guess the engineers don't or they wouldn't have designed it this way.

avdoc

Reaction score
This has been done since the 60's. I helped a buddy replace the inline 6 cly in his falcon ( why he wanted to replace it with another inline is beyond me, I voted for a 302 or something). Anyway, it had the radiator hose from the radiator to the heater core run through the base of the carb. to heat up the neck of the intake before proceeding to the heater core. I suppose its kinda like the gas version of the glow plug. IDK, I did notice response improvement in my Hoe. It's a little like when its real cold outside and your car runs better. Not that dramatic, but same concept.

I do understand your view though, but I suppose since the passage is so small, the parts are alum, it does not take much to heat the air.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been done since the 60's. I helped a buddy replace the inline 6 cly in his falcon ( why he wanted to replace it with another inline is beyond me, I voted for a 302 or something). Anyway, it had the radiator hose from the radiator to the heater core run through the base of the carb. to heat up the neck of the intake before proceeding to the heater core. I suppose its kinda like the gas version of the glow plug. IDK, I did notice response improvement in my Hoe. It's a little like when its real cold outside and your car runs better. Not that dramatic, but same concept.

I do understand your view though, but I suppose since the passage is so small, the parts are alum, it does not take much to heat the air.

My biggest concern was winter. It gets pretty cold where I live and I didn't want to negatively affect it during those months, but Boost lives where it's cold and he says he's had no problem. Plus, as easy as it looks a guy could always just undo it when winter hit. Maybe I'll look into it this summer. Oneradride suggested a ball valve. I don't know how serious he was, but it could be done and if you planned on having to do and undo the mod every spring and fall it might be less hassle in the long run.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it did not involve cutting the hood I would love to install a true ram air intake on the silverado. That is an awsome look IMO.

avdoc

Reaction score
I would love a true ram air intake on the Hoe, and my 2500 Hemi truck, since its my everyday truck.

My book said in the US, you dont need to worry about the heat line in the intake. I will cite the book later, its a real good source on the LS style motors, and specifically trucks.

tenmark262

Reaction score
Have done it my LT1 cars, 94 Trans Am, 94 and 95 Cadillac Fleetwoods, and 98 Corvette. They have a similar setup - you can find throttle body bypass mod information all over the web. The way I see it is that you're NEVER going to "feel" the difference from the mod. Never. You might could dyno it before and after to see the change but otherwise you'd never know you did it. Unless you did it.

avdoc

Reaction score
Have done it my LT1 cars, 94 Trans Am, 94 and 95 Cadillac Fleetwoods, and 98 Corvette. They have a similar setup - you can find throttle body bypass mod information all over the web. The way I see it is that you're NEVER going to "feel" the difference from the mod. Never. You might could dyno it before and after to see the change but otherwise you'd never know you did it. Unless you did it.

I could on the Tahoe, not the 2000 Silverado, but I had it dyno tuned at the same time. Tahoe did help throttle response in most conditions. I doubt its a lot faster, just takes in a little cooler air. We all know what that means.