Tips for maximizing fuel economy

Discussion in 'General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum' started by JKmotorsports, Nov 5, 2007.

1. D'Hag

D'Hag Full Access Member

In all the stuff I wrote, I didn't get into all the variables. Like, what is your tire pressure? Factory tire pressure specs are great for a nice ride, but horrible for gas mileage and tread life. I run my Z-71's tires at 45 psi. I feel the seams in the road, but get better mileage from both gas and rubber.

Can you make yourself drive and NEVER open the throttle more than about 20%? Can you stick with or under speed limits? Do you drive over 55 mph on your highway drives? Do you ever pass slower vehicles? How long do you have to wait at stop lights on your city drive? Do you coast long distances to places you know you will have to stop? Or do you pull the speed down quickly at the last second using the brakes? Is your route flat and straight? Or is it hilly with curves? Are you running with the climate control set to "Auto" (which runs the A/C compressor)? Are you running with the windows down?

Have you added any goodies that increased the truck's weight or it's wind resistance?

All these things factor into it.

Do you buy only "top tier" gas? Or do you fill up wherever it's cheapest? Some people think "gas is gas," but that is not true. Off-brand gas causes carbon and crud buildup in the intake and combustion chambers. Are you running pure gasoline? Or are you buying E10 because it's cheaper per gallon, or because the state forces it on you? E10 ethanol-blend lowers gas mileage by 8% on every computer-controlled vehicle. That's almost 2 mpg off of 21 estimated. Here in Iowa, E10 costs 10 cents per gallon less than regular gas. As of today, that's a 3.2 % lower price. But with an 8% drop in mpg, that means the "cheaper" E10 actually costs about 5% MORE to use. "Fuel economy" is NOT "miles per gallon." It's "cents per mile."

The EPA tests, even revised for "real world," are still done under perfect and controlled conditions. The manufacturers increase the tire pressure. The test is done indoors in fixed temperatures. The driver treats the gas pedal like there's an egg between it and his foot.

I betcha, if you were to...
    • Inflate your tires to 45 psi...
    • Run two cans of Berryman's or Techron through a tank of gas...
    • Buy only Phillips or BP or some other top tier gas brand for about 3 tanks...
    • THEN do a gas mileage test, if you can stand it:
      • Pick a dry day in the 60's with no wind.
      • Fill the tank at a particular top-tier station, using a particular pump, on the slowest setting. Stop when the lever kicks off.
      • Drive at least 100 miles.
      • Drive strictly 55 mph on straight, flat interstate.
      • Push the "snowflake" button on the climate control, to turn off the A/C compressor.
      • Windows up.
      • NEVER push the gas pedal more than about 20% open, and press it softly (like there's an egg between it and your foot).
      • Coast to slow down. Use the brakes as little as you possibly can.
      • Refill the tank at the same station, using the same pump, on the same setting. Stop when the lever kicks off.
    ...your Tahoe would get about 24 mpg.

2. holsteinson

holsteinson New Member

no A/C in 90F? If this is how I would get the EPA MPG I quit

EPA estimate MPG were obtained using the 32psi recommended by Chevy and with the A/C on.

Using 45psi (cold pressure)on the 20" tires would make the ride really bumpy I have tried 40psi and it was unconfortable on the Tahoe LTZ 2011 specially up front.

Fuel I only the best Shell gas grade available (Defenda) and have everything synthetic oil in the engine and transmission and installed a K&N reusable air filter that I clean every 5,000miles as well as check the tires alignment and balance every 10,000 miles.

BUT the Tahoe LTZ 2011 still gets only 13MPG combined city/highway :bawl:

3. D'Hag

D'Hag Full Access Member

:sorrysign: I was just explaining how they do it. When I drive my '03 at 55 mph, I get 23 mpg on pure gasoline. And it's a Z-71.

Mine rides stiff, too, with 17" tires at 45 psi. But then, I expect stiff with a Z-71.

20-inch wheels? Sheesh! How far are the manufacturers gonna push wheel sizes? Good grief! I see by the specs that the tires themselves are the same diameter as mine with 17" wheels. So your sidewalls are really short! What are they thinking?

Anyway, I maintain that it's possible to meet or beat EPA estimates. It all depends on how you drive and the state of your vehicle's tune.

If mpg is that important, then get a VW with one of their TDI diesels, and leave the Tahoe parked. 95% of my driving is in our Impala, which gets a true 34 mpg on my commute. The Tahoe is for pulling the boat; pulling stumps; hauling deer out of the woods; going to ski areas; climbing to high mountain trout lakes; stuff like that there. :)

4. wildcat2003

wildcat2003 New Member

Does anyone know if there are any performance chips out there that will improve fuel efficiency and HP for my tahoe? I have a 2007... Ive been researching but seems like, based off test results out there, that some have made performance worse. Any opions appreciated.

5. holsteinson

holsteinson New Member

I have tried the K&N replacement filter and no improvements in the MPG

I also tried Performance Chip optimized for fuel economy and only got about 0.5MPG increase

Tried also the Borla exhaust and got less than 1mpg

So I guess that fuel injection system of the Tahoe 2011 LTZ needs better callibration and smaller jets it allows then engine to devour up to 80L/100km if you go into overdrive!

6. holsteinson

holsteinson New Member

The Tahoe 2011 LTZ with 5.3LV8 is fuel dragon even driving it at 50mph on flat terrain with cruise control on you dont get 15 mpg!!

7. cary2012

cary2012 New Member

I driving stupider and more carfully, and I end up at the like traffic light that the cretin who is drive like an ass,vehicle cameras simply trolls though annoyance are fairly comical for a while.

8. Architect

Architect New Member

One of the best ways to save fuel cost is to car-pool to work, if that applies.

I've done all the tire pressure monitoring, removing excessive weight and they are all good, but the instant payback comes from car-pooling. I'd rather drive by myself, but it's too much of a savings to pass up.

9. Rough Country

Rough Country New Member

Hay there this is Rough Country, we are haveing count down to Christmas , every 24 hours a new deal is going on, keep a eye on our web for great deals.

10. RKMoore

RKMoore New Member

You guys have about talked me out of purchasing a Tahoe with such poor fuel mileage. I was hoping to get about 17 around town and 23 on the road with a 2007 Tahoe. Is it jus about how you drive it?

11. justimagination

justimagination Full Access Member

Interesting topic. Gas mileage is and always will be about driving habit's as listed previously. The fuel we pay through the nose for is not the best, but it's all your going to get. The 89 octane fuel is just about gone, so we must just take it as it is. My driving habit is much calmer than it used to be, retirement will do that to you ie $$$$$$$$$$$$. Good luck to all for a interesting topic, JMHO.
    david g.
    :waytogo:

12. georgenelson

georgenelson New Member

Using this information I’m going to try my level best to maximize the economy.

13. PricklyPear

PricklyPear New Member

Somewhere I read that the 4.8 actually gets less gas mileage than the 5.3. Can anyone confirm?

14. Xambo

Xambo New Member

Very helpful tips thanks. Add to that turn off the engine whenever you know you will park for more than 5 minutes. A good review for the Denali here http://www.reviewpost.net/

15. TahoeLTZ2011

TahoeLTZ2011 New Member

Very intresting read. A person can pick up a lot of tips from all the posts.

All i do is have a clean K&N air filter, nice firm tire preassure, not any extra weight & then it comes down to driving style.

I have a 2001 SS Camaro M6 ran that pretty tough. I didnt expect great milage in the first place so i enjoyed it very much.

Nov 2014 came, I obtained a 2011 LTZ. I drive the complete oppisite from the Camaro. I have cars goin around me from the slow accelarations I now have and when I see a stop sing or red light up waaay ahead i let off the gas pedal and coast to it.

That last part is what has saved me alot of gallons in my tank. when I usually spend half a tank round trip for work 5 days a week. I do a quarter 5 days. Im working on half a tank for two weeks with no long weekend runs only to grocery stores. Im very pleased.

16. georgesarge70

georgesarge70 New Member

Thanks for the tips!!!