TSB for ebony cloth material

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this was already posted but a search didn't find it.

For those of you with black cloth seats in '07 and up vehicles, there is a TSB out now from GM to help deal with the lint accumulation issue. If you have one of these vehicles you know what I'm referring to - - the fact that the seats act like a lint brush and attract and hold every piece of lint, fuzz, and hair that comes near them. Keeping them clean (and that crap from transferring to your clothes) is a hassle at best.

Basically GM will replace the cloth seat covers (frt and rr) with an exisiting GM upgraded seat material. Not sure which vehicle they're taking it from. Below is the detailed TSB, do a google search on that number and you should find other details like photos of the new covers. From what I saw it looks like the center portion of the seat material is different but the outside portion is the same. That'll help some but won't fix all of the issue. You may be able to upgrade to leather for an additional cost but I didn't look into it.

Apparently this TSB only covers ebony seats, the lighter ones aren't included. You'll have to gripe to your dealer to get them to do this, and be prepared for most of them to know nothing about this TSB. Availability hasn't been determined yet but I've seen references to backorders due to demand and incorrect parts being shipped already. Mine were ordered yesterday by my dealer, we'll see what happens from here.

===================================================
Subject: Excessive Lint Accumulation on Cloth Seats (Replace Seat Covers) #07-08-50-018 - (08/28/2007)

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

with Cloth Seats (RPOs AE7, AZ3, A95)

Built Prior to August 1, 2007

Condition:
Some customers may comment on excessive lint accumulation on the cloth seat material. Darker colored seat fabric seems to show the condition more than lighter fabrics.

Cause:
The source of the lint accumulation is not the seat fabric material. The seat material, though, exhibits a tendency to accumulate and retain lint from sources that come into contact with the fabric.

Correction:
Replace the seat covers (back and cushion) with new covers that have been created with a revised fabric. Refer to SI for the appropriate seat back and cushion cover replacement procedures.

Parts Information
Important: These seat covers are ONLY for vehicles with an ebony interior.

Part Number
Description

Cushion - Driver (Pickups)

Cushion - Passenger (Pickups)

Seat Back - Front (Pickups)

Cushion - Driver (Utility)

Cushion - Passenger (Utility)

Seat Back - Front (Utility)

Cushion - Rear Seat 40%

Cushion - Rear Seat 60%

Seat Back - Rear 40%

Seat Back - Rear 60%

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

C6870
Cover and/or Pad, Front Seat Cushion - Right -- R&R or Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

C6871
Cover and/or Pad, Front Seat Cushion - Left -- R&R or Replace

C7050
Cover and/or Pad, Front Seat Back Cushion - Right -- R&R or Replace

C7051
Cover and/or Pad, Front Seat Back Cushion - Left -- R&R or Replace

C7250
Cover and/or Pad, Rear or Row 1 Seat Cushion - Right -- R&R or Replace

C7251
Cover and/or Pad, Rear or Row 1 Seat Cushion - Left -- R&R or Replace

C7270
Cover and/or Pad, Rear or Row 1 Seat Back Cushion - Right -- R&R or Replace

C7271
Cover and/or Pad, Rear or Row 1 Seat Back Cushion - Left -- R&R or Replace

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

EchoBravo

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for posting this. Something to add to The List. My Tahoe is about to go in for the 4th time. The seat cover swapout will surely be an appointment for #5.

jon1029

Reaction score
Any progress on this issue?

I asked my dealer to look at this issue. He looked it up in the computer and showed it to me. It said there is a problem, but there currently is no fix for this.

Has anyone had their seats fabric replaced yet?

Thanks,
Jon

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct your dealer

Correction:
Replace the seat covers (back and cushion) with new covers that have been created with a revised fabric. Refer to SI for the appropriate seat back and cushion cover replacement procedures.

Parts Information
Important: These seat covers are ONLY for vehicles with an ebony interior.

The TSB clearly states that the dealer should take corrective action.

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer ordered and rec'd these to install on my '07. But after after hearing him tell me to 'expect a few wrinkles and such', I decided to postpone the install. He hadn't done one before and wouldn't consider having an upholstery shop do it (and I didn't want to be his guinea pig) so I begged off.

In the interim a liberal application of Scotchguard has helped quite a bit. The crap still accumulates on the material but is MUCH easier to remove with a vacuum or lint brush.

ucsbguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen on some other boards that people have been getting upgraded to factory leather for $150-$200. Anyone here do that? And if so, what dealer did you go to?

The three i called said they would upgrade to leather for closer to $800. Totally worth it for $200, but for $800 i might as well put that towards a Katzkin set.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything near $800 and go katzkin. Your labor would save on that route if you are up to it.

ucsbguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, thats what i was thinking.

Although if it were only $200 to get leather installed, that might be too good to pass up! :cool2:

jon1029

Reaction score
New info...

this is the TSB info that the Dealer showed me...

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Subject:Excessive Lint Accumulation on Cloth Seats (Parts Not Yet Available) #07-08-50-018A - (10/02/2007)
Models:2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

with Cloth Seats (RPOs AE7, AZ3, A95)

Built Prior to August 1, 2007

This bulletin is being revised to advise dealers that the appropriate parts are not available at this time. This bulletin will be revised again when parts become available. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-50-018 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on excessive lint accumulation on the cloth seat material. Darker colored seat fabric seems to show the condition more than lighter fabrics.

Cause
The source of the lint accumulation is not the seat fabric material. The seat material, though, exhibits a tendency to accumulate and retain lint from sources that come into contact with the fabric.

Correction
The part numbers listed in the previous bulletin were incorrect. Please do not replace the seat covers at this time.

...................................................................................................................................................................................................

I really don't understand what is says under "Cause". How can it not be the cause, but still exhibit a tendancy to accumulate and retain lint?

Something to think about.

Jon

Roman

Reaction score
lint issue

I visited my dealer today (1/21/08) regarding the TSB. I have an 08 tahoe with ebony interior. it was built 07/07. The Service Manager told me that even the replacement seat covers are bad too. They've replaced a couple and they were brought back. He said that they were told last week to stop replacing them because it was still a problem. They no longer offer the leather upgrade because of issues with the airbag bag system. either they deply too soon or not at all. He said to call GM cust srv to file a claim. which i did. Now I just have to keep a stock of tape to remove the lint and wait for a solution.

falconetti

Reaction score
called my dealer about it and all they could tell me was they have never heard of such a problem. guess ill have to show em'

falconetti

Reaction score
I visited my dealer today (1/21/08) regarding the TSB. I have an 08 tahoe with ebony interior. it was built 07/07. The Service Manager told me that even the replacement seat covers are bad too. They've replaced a couple and they were brought back. He said that they were told last week to stop replacing them because it was still a problem. They no longer offer the leather upgrade because of issues with the airbag bag system. either they deply too soon or not at all. He said to call GM cust srv to file a claim. which i did. Now I just have to keep a stock of tape to remove the lint and wait for a solution.

post the # you called:thumbsup:

Roman

Reaction score
contact info

GM Customer Satisfaction number is 800-222-1020. If you have the ebony cloth seats call and file your claim. This will make GM find a solution faster. Pass the word. It affects, Tahoes, Suburbans, Avalanches and Silverados.

Roman

Reaction score
TSB

Is this affecting newly built vehicles?

Accorrding to the tsb. It affects vehicles built prior to Aug 07. Mines is an 08 built 07/07. I asked about the newer ones and according to my dealer it does. We'll have to wait and see though. I don't think may people know about the TSB.

falconetti

Reaction score
GM Customer Satisfaction number is 800-222-1020. If you have the ebony cloth seats call and file your claim. This will make GM find a solution faster. Pass the word. It affects, Tahoes, Suburbans, Avalanches and Silverados.

called today, not sure it does any good they acted like this was not a common problem. anyway the dealer wants to see what im talking about so i have to take it over there for show and tell. ANYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM NEEDS TO CALL.

falconetti

Reaction score
CALL-BACK from GM,they adknowledge that this is a widespread problem and there will be a soulution, he also said once the solution is found an upgrade maybe offered (leather) in place of cloth

bkooman

Reaction score
Update?

I was reading through some old posts and I didnn't see a recent update...

falconetti

Reaction score
Gave Me A 200.00 Voucher For Service. Put Me On The List To Be Notified Of A Fix.

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called Chevy Customer Satisfaction Center - re. the seats. As soon as I got in touch with the rep., he was already aware of the problem. He advised me that the engineers are currently working to solve the problem but cannot guarantee when they will come back w/ solution.

Also called the dealership. They are also aware of it. They received a lot of complaints. The guy said that he would personally call me when they come back with a resolution. I will keep you posted.

I am passing this along to other friends who owns the Tahoe as I do so they also call.