Two Error Lights Thrown (ENGINE POWER REDUCE/STABILITY DISABLED)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

compuvision02

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section in the forum, but it seemed to be the most appropriate. A friend on mine has a 2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL and a few lights came on today. The first was "ENGINE POWER REDUCE" and the second was "STABILITY DISABLED," atleast I believe that is what they were. Anyways, I talked to my mechanic and he thinks that it is a sensor in the differential, I believe that is what he said, but he was not 100% sure. He was working all day and after hours and has not gotten a chance to look deeper into it, yet, so I figured I would ask on here. I have hear of the "ENGINE POWER REDUCE" light coming on, forget what kind of GM vehicle it was, but I thought it was something fairly small like a sensor. I do not recall the "STABILITY DISABLED" light coming on though. It does not like to shift out of first and runs choppy, from what I understood. Hopefully someone can help me out so the situation can be handled more quickly. Thanks all!

-Rob

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically what is happening is the Yukon is going into "limping mode" :smilielol: you are going have take it in for service.

compuvision02

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured it was a "limp mode" type deal, but any idea of what could or is causing it? Just wondering for possible repair scenarios.

compuvision02

Reaction score
My friend found this on an Envoy forum.

The "reduced engine power" message is not a sensor. It is a message from the PCM that some sensor(s) or operating parameters are not reporting correct information to the PCM or the sensor(s) are providing information that is causing the PCM to protect the powertrain. The problems that can cause a reduced engine.

Guessing this is true for the Denali? I told her that it was probably just running ****ty to help prevent problems, so I guess she just has to go to a dealer.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be able to get to some sort of repair scenario if you get the codes pulled from the computer, indicating what's causing it to go into limp mode.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a similar issue aswell with my 03 denali no xl but this happened when i was playing around with the harness behind the stereo but mine the dash kept blinking off and on and the oild pressure kept going up and down and the stabilitrack button didnt work to try and fix this so i pulled out the button along with the square made sure the wires were properly connected and that fixed it

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just did that tonight because i forgot to reconnect my MAF sensor. plugged it up and all good...

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has he been messin' with the air intake / manifold? If you have a vacuum problem / leak after the MAF sensor like I did, then that'll set these codes. It may take a little while to turn on the idiot lights, so it's possible that something was done a while back, and it's just recently decided to throw the codes and light up the DIC... Get the source issue(s) fixed, and reset the comp. by disconnecting the batt. for 15 minutes, and he'll be golden. Good luck!