Unsteady power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m610

Reaction score
I thought I had solved this one. The symptoms sounded just like the ones described here - http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=9691

Th solution was to replace the steering wheel position sensor. I went out to look at my (1996) Tahoe and start this job, but I find it has no such sensor.

My symptoms are:
  1. At times, and for brief moment, resistance to steering increases.
  2. Once and a while it feels like the system is trying to turn the wheels the opposite way I am steering it
  3. Twice, at low speed, power steering has cut out entirely. It can be really difficult to steer these things without power steering.

The truck has a new power steering pump.

The service manual lists possible causes, among them air in the system. The procedure for this is to get the front wheels off the ground and, with the engine off, steer lock-to-lock 20 times, watching the fluid level, color, and for bubbles. I'm going to see what I can do about that. It's a 2-person job.

Another steering symptom, when parking and the wheels are turned, I feel a knock in the left front. Ball joints? Doubtful it would affect power steering.

Mike

m610

Reaction score
Hmm, the power steering fluid is gray/brown. I thought it was normally red.

A little oil did burp out, a sign that there was air in the system.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still at it? Did the Lock to Lock cure it? This would have gotten more hits if it had been in one of the first 2 forums of this body style section....