what about the Kenwood Excelon DNX8120

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtcream17

Reaction score
Looking to change out my factory nav screen to this kenwood DNX8120...is it over rated? or is there a cheaper version that gets more bang for your buck? any and all replys will be great.

CaliChevyV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinkin about getting that one. All the other cheaper ones don't come ipod and bluetooth built in. I saw it in a Tahoe at my audio shop and it looks really good. I also heard the Pioneer Z3 has had a lot more problems then the DNX8120

DRINKSALOTOF151

Reaction score
I Use The 8120 And I Have Had N Problems With It And The Ipodis Not Built In U Still Need A Adapter So U Can Use The Video Ithink Its The 300

djvinevibez

Reaction score
yeah i think im gonna buy this unit too.. built in bluetooth and GPS i heard so you dont need a the dvd map disc to run gps.. and the ipod cable is like $30.00.. but does anyone know if you have to buy a certain XM reciever? cause my Tahoe has XM so that probably means i cant use the same reciever huh?

Sinjin

Reaction score
Go for it

I have the DNX8120 in my Sky. I know this is the Tahoe forum. I do have a 07 LTZ. I picked the 8120 because everything was built in to the unit. At least most things are built in. I don't like the Garmin software as much as I did with my Pioneer unit. But the 8120 does seem to be a very good one. I would get another one if my LTZ didn't already have NAV. I also paired the 8120 with the Garmin GXM30. The GXM30 is a XM Radio reciever that also will recieve XM's NAVTraffic service. It's about the size of a hocky puck. I have to say that I am very happy with my 8120. :thumbsup:

bigrob639

Reaction score
So how many xtras did you guys have to buy to run onstar, video, ipod, xm/serious, and the sterring wheel control. I want the same unit but it seems as though you need to buy an xtra part for every feture.

Sinjin

Reaction score
What you need

Even though the 8120 has most things built in. There are still a few items that you would need to integrate it with your car.

KCA-IP300V: iPod adaptor. There are also some cheeper alternatives that are just as good as the Kenwood one.

GMOS-LAN03 or 04 module: This is to retain onstar and chimes. Check the Metra web site for the one that works with your car.

PAC SWI-JACK: This is to retain steering wheel controls. There are other brands. The PAC one is what I usually use. You can find this on Chrutchfields web site or the PAC web site.

XM/Serius: You'll need to get a module for this. I went the expensive route on this with the Garmin GXM-30. This uses a mini USB connector to plug in to the 8120. It recieves XM radio and XM Nav Traffic.

If you go to the Crutchfield web site and put in your car information and sellect the 8120. Go to the accessories tab for the 8120 and you will see all of the optional stuff you can get. I used this information as a guide to get part names and numbers. Then I shopped around for the best price. Since this is Christmas there are probably some really good deals going on.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

bigrob639

Reaction score
thanks

It helps a ton...YOU ROCK, and now my tahoe will too....lol

APEX320

Reaction score
I have it in my Truck its AWESOME. The best IPOD hookup and steering wheel controls. The mapping is awesome and you can watch movies and drive :popc1:... Not that I would :nono: hahahaha.

nojosh

Reaction score
WOW! Nice thread guys... I am just about to replace my factory NAV with a DNX8120... looks like the additional hardware for my install will be:

KCA-IP300V - ipod adapter
PAC OS-4 - Audible signals (door chime, turn signal, etc.), Bose system (AMP)
PAC SWI-JACK - Retain steering wheel controls
PAC GMRVD - Adapter for Rear Seat Entertainment system (Rear DVD)

joecool1166

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm about to purchase one of these as well. I've been researching for weeks. Seems this unit is the best for balancing solid multimedia without sacrificing GPS capabilities.

I just posted a question related to this in another thread. Maybe you folks can help answer my question. I want to eventually install headrest monitors; having the 8120 professionally installed but think I can handle the monitors down the road.

It's my understanding that you can plug in headrest monitors into the A/V plugs in the back of the 8120. You guys think it's a good idea to have the installer run an RCA/component video plug along the floorboard into the back seat area for the eventual headrest monitors to come? Does that make sense? So we wouldn't have to pull the 8120 out later just to plug in the video cables for the monitor?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

bigrob639

Reaction score
I Just read a thread on another forum, the guy there says this unit is great for bells and whistles but audio quality is poor at best, for those that want sound quality for multi amp, multi speaker sound systems. The guys stuff was all top notch like JL and soundstream.
I am planning a large system behind this head unit, does anyone else run this unit on a amplified system??
I Would hope with a price tag like this, kenwood would have spent some time on audio as well as av.

APEX320

Reaction score
Its not the output of the deck thats bad its the $5 dollar Bose speakers that are bad. If you upgrade your speakers and Put in a mono amp to run the Subs you will have a Killer system.

Sinjin

Reaction score
I would do just that.

Yeah, I'm about to purchase one of these as well. I've been researching for weeks. Seems this unit is the best for balancing solid multimedia without sacrificing GPS capabilities.

I just posted a question related to this in another thread. Maybe you folks can help answer my question. I want to eventually install headrest monitors; having the 8120 professionally installed but think I can handle the monitors down the road.

It's my understanding that you can plug in headrest monitors into the A/V plugs in the back of the 8120. You guys think it's a good idea to have the installer run an RCA/component video plug along the floorboard into the back seat area for the eventual headrest monitors to come? Does that make sense? So we wouldn't have to pull the 8120 out later just to plug in the video cables for the monitor?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Definitely... Have the installer runs some extra rca cables to the back seats. then when you're ready you don't have to remove the head unit when you install the head rest monitors. :cool2:

sotsub

Reaction score
re: Kenwood 8120

Hey guys, I too wanted to get the 8120 installed in my 08 tahoe w/Nav & bose. I have had Kenwood touch screens in my vehicles since they 1st came out and have my 4th different one in my 04 Siverado. I have been trying to make use of what I have now with my factory Nav unit in my 08 tahoe but can't stand it anymore that I cannot view DVD while in motion or use my Nav once I am moving( been very spoiled by Kenwood). I was just getting ready to go get 8120 this week and I ran across this. It is called the Lockpick ( https://www.coastaletech.com/GMX320.htm ). I haven't purchased this yet, cause I just discovered it lastnite. I had heard of this ( my friend even has older 07 version on his esky but installer is out of business and I could not get any info) but could never find it untill lastnite. With this economy, before you pull your factory Nav out, and spend at least $1,800 for all the stuff you need to install the 8120, You might want to just check this out, It can save You lots of $$$ while keeping all the goodies......hope this helps....(I Just joined tahoe forum lastnite too, lots of great info, thanks)
PS Not trying to bash Kenwood at all, I still love my Kenwood stuff as well, just looking for easier and more cost effective way right now

nojosh

Reaction score
I purchased one of the lockpicks for my NAV and it does play dvd's while i drive but I liked my NUVI NAV much better than the GM NAV so thats why i want the Kenwood... Lockpick does work... mine was one of the first ones they came out with and it will also allow you to input addresses or change xm while you are driving but on mine you must press the window lock button 4 times then it unlocks these features... i understand that the new lockpicks have the ability to keep the features unlocked without having to press the window lock.

Rich E

Reaction score
I have the basic CD changer, non-navigation radio in my Tahoe. I want this Kenwood 8120 radio. On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard is this radio to install? I'm pretty good with electronics and I've installed radios in the past, but this will probably be the most complicated. Plus, I want to install the following accessories; ipod, sirius, steering wheel controls, onstar, and backup camera. Being that my factory radio does not have navigation will I have to get another accessory for that too? Thanks.

Sinjin

Reaction score
Since you have experience doing installs you shouldn't have any trouble with this one. As for getting anything new for NAV. No need, the 8120 has the NAV built in. :thumbsup:

sotsub

Reaction score
Rich E, You might already know all this info but...here it is just in case....
As far as install goes with your 8120, You will need some other pieces to make this work. For the ipod ( you will need the Ipod-kenwood adapter), might be able to keep current sirius ant..but you will need SiriusConnect Universal Vehicle Tuner and cable, and need to transfer your service to new tuner, as for the steering wheel controls ( u need the correct Pac-module (or other manufacturer) for your GM vehicle...do you have Bose speakers, if so, are you keeping Bose or putting in different speakers and amps? depending on your choices, requires a different pac-module ), this Pac-module will also give you GM connectors so your not having to splice power,trigger,ground, and speaker wires etc...) as far as camera, there is another part(for auto reverse gear picture, but I think it comes with kenwood camera but not sure... hope this helps.....

sotsub

Reaction score
Sinjin....sorry, just seen you already got all this 8120 info covered in previous replys...sorry guys...